User Tag List

Thread: helping my teacher’s bird

helping my teacher’s bird

so i’m a high school student taking AP biology. my ap bio teacher has a bird she keeps in her classroom. she’s never told us what type of bird he is, and i’m not sure she even knows, but i think he’s an indian ringneck. he’s in a cage that seems far too small for him (about 18x18x24 maybe), with just one branch, a small mirror, and his food bowl. i’ll include a picture if i can figure out how to. i don’t think the teacher feeds him anything other than a seed mix, though i bring in fruit and vegetables for him when i can.
    is there any way i can further help him? i’m just a dumb teenage boy and i’m certainly no bird expert, so i could be wrong about this, but it just seems like he’s not in great living conditions.

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-31-2019), PlaxMacaws (11-05-2019)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    That definitely doesn't sound like ideal conditions. She is a teacher, so I think I'd write some sort of essay on how his care could be improved (cite some credible sources, if you can -- I can share some later!), why improving his care would be a good educational experience for the class, and give it to her. This may help, if all is worded gently. Pics would help identify him + what sort of diet and housing he would benefit from.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0755.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	5312
    hopefully the image actually uploads. i'm sorry for the bad quality, we aren't supposed to have out phones out in class so this is the best i could do. if i have an opportunity to get a better picture of the bird i'll certainly share it here.
    thanks for the essay suggestion! i was already planning to write her an essay about the treatment of her snake and leopard geckos, since i think she might even be willing to let me take the reptiles to a rescue i know of (she seems annoyed by having to look after them anyway).

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thanks so much for taking an interest in this poor bird. The bird really needs a cage 3 to 4 times that size. Birds can suffer from depression and I would be surprised if that one isn’t.
    Rivx has a great idea regarding researching and seeing if your teacher would be open to you assisting with its care. It needs pellets, fresh fruit and veggies and some nuts in its diet. Diets high in seeds can result in fatty liver disease.
    Let us know how this works out. Maybe the teacher would be open to rehousing it? Birds are social animals. Do you know how much time it spends alone?

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-13-2020), PlaxMacaws (11-05-2019)

I think you should show your love to her bird, and try to do it again and again, She might feel about it and change herself

10. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-13-2020)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    This poor bird looks to be in a similar situation to Casper before he came to live with us. Hopefully he will also appreciate new love and attention (and a healthy diet).
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-14-2020)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wonder how things are working out. A few safe home made colorful toys would brighten up her space until someone takes her to a more suitable place!