Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I've never been much active on sites like this one but I desperately needed a place to find support.

Basically I am feeling extremely guilty over the death of our young male canary, which our family had for the last 2 years. He (name Vedett) was a beautiful European canary (serinus canaria) that I more or less tamed and that would occasionally fly across the room under supervision.

Flying never really went wrong until last Tuesday. I must have scared him moving my arm and he flew into the window behind me. He used to turn back for another round across the room if he didn't find a place to land immediately, never did he fly into windows, unfortunately this time he did and I feel like it's all my fault. I wanted to make him land on my finger or shoulder like he used to, but he prefered being on his own lately I guess and no longer liked a lot of attention from people. He was still a very friendly bird and liked to fly across the room and explore.

Anyway, my little friend must have suffered a bad concussion and died the next day. He was only 2 and I am feeling extremely guitly over his passing. He wouldn't have been gone if I didn't get him out to fly last Tuesday. I don't even have a photo. I never realized I've loved him so so much until last Wednesday.

Sure we can just get a new bird but the pain I'm feeling is just so so bad. I loved this little guy so much and am absolutely heartbroken over his passing. My heart just broke the moment I needed to clean his empty cage and I just couldn't hold back my tears anymore. These little birds are so fragile and to realize they rely on you for care, to then see them go over something you could have prevented, it's just too much to bear.

I love you so much Vedett! I'm so sorry this had to happen to you and can only hope we will be reunited some day. My love for you will never die!!!!!

I hope you are in a better place now little friend, flying freely, singing your beautiful songs. Please forgive me if I scared you, my beloved bird. I can only hope you know I would never do anything to hurt you.

Your owner,
Ken