User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling extremely guilty over the death of our beloved canary

Feeling extremely guilty over the death of our beloved canary

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I've never been much active on sites like this one but I desperately needed a place to find support.

Basically I am feeling extremely guilty over the death of our young male canary, which our family had for the last 2 years. He (name Vedett) was a beautiful European canary (serinus canaria) that I more or less tamed and that would occasionally fly across the room under supervision.

Flying never really went wrong until last Tuesday. I must have scared him moving my arm and he flew into the window behind me. He used to turn back for another round across the room if he didn't find a place to land immediately, never did he fly into windows, unfortunately this time he did and I feel like it's all my fault. I wanted to make him land on my finger or shoulder like he used to, but he prefered being on his own lately I guess and no longer liked a lot of attention from people. He was still a very friendly bird and liked to fly across the room and explore.

Anyway, my little friend must have suffered a bad concussion and died the next day. He was only 2 and I am feeling extremely guitly over his passing. He wouldn't have been gone if I didn't get him out to fly last Tuesday. I don't even have a photo. I never realized I've loved him so so much until last Wednesday.

Sure we can just get a new bird but the pain I'm feeling is just so so bad. I loved this little guy so much and am absolutely heartbroken over his passing. My heart just broke the moment I needed to clean his empty cage and I just couldn't hold back my tears anymore. These little birds are so fragile and to realize they rely on you for care, to then see them go over something you could have prevented, it's just too much to bear.

I love you so much Vedett! I'm so sorry this had to happen to you and can only hope we will be reunited some day. My love for you will never die!!!!!

I hope you are in a better place now little friend, flying freely, singing your beautiful songs. Please forgive me if I scared you, my beloved bird. I can only hope you know I would never do anything to hurt you.

Your owner,
    Ken

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Hi ken... please accept my condolences for your terrible loss. I feel the pain in your words and I truly empathize. I too lost a dear feathered companion earlier this year and it's never been the same around here

Please realize that we humans are far from perfect beings. All we can reasonably do for those under our care is try our very best to make good decisions. Unfortunately, we will likely overlook things now and then. What your little friend, Vedett, experienced was simply a horrible accident, nothing more. Yes, you can use the experience to better prepare for the future (if you opt to bring another bird into your life). But the fact remains that you didn't intend for this tragic accident to occur and I know you'd certainly have prevented it had you realized the level of potential involved and how quickly this sort of thing can happen.

Fly free little Vedett!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

3. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-12-2019)

Thanks so much for your comforting words... I absolutely would have done everything in my power to stop him from flying into this window had I known what would happen, but I still feel guilty since I know I probably scared him which made him fly into the window. This absolutely pains me and I've had very dark thoughts but I guess all I can do is accept and start over with a new bird. I don't think I've ever loved an animal this much. My heart is broken and all I really hope is that his soul is at peace now and that we will see each other again some day.
    The empty cage is too much for us to handle so we've chosen to get a new bird. I must say I've learned one valuable lesson. As much as we love these birds, they still need their personal space and don't feel equally comfortable in our presence. Maybe this isn't true for every bird but you just can't be too careful with these beautiful little wonders of life.

Life's very cruel sometimes. It also teaches you you need to treasure every moment you can share with your pet(s). They don't stick around forever and it's in moments like these you get to know the real meaning of the word love, and it doesn't discriminate between race or species.

You'll forever own my heart, little friend of mine. I love you so so much!

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-12-2019), PlaxMacaws (10-12-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    So sorry to hear of your loss. A new bird won’t take the pain away, but it will help you through the process.

I have had birds flying to/into windows and I now have sheer curtains that I pull across the window when they are out. You never know what can spook them...even the flash of a car driving by.

Best wishes with your new bird. Please post a pic when you get it.

7. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (10-12-2019)

Thanks so much... I am still far from over it and will forever miss our beloved canary, but I guess all I can do is accept. You are absolutely right, getting another bird doesn't take the pain away, but the empty cage was just too much to handle.
    So, we got a new bird. Another male canary, we've named him Odil, he looks a bit like Vedett but will never really replace him. I don't think any other bird will be able to replace him, but I guess that in time my love for this one will grow as well. He's about 8 months already, a bit late to start training, it may not work out as well but I will try anyway.

Our new bird is full of energy so it was hard to take a picture, this was the best one I could come up with. Here he is... A beautiful bird that will be cared for no matter what.

Thanks again!
    Best regards

9. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (10-18-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    He is beautiful! Is he an American Singer? I don't think it's ever too late to train birds. I look forward to hearing how you are doing with him.

11. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (10-18-2019)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by bken View Post
    Our new bird is full of energy so it was hard to take a picture, this was the best one I could come up with. Here he is... A beautiful bird that will be cared for no matter what.
    He's a very nice looking canary. I know he'll have an amazingly caring forever home with you. Thanks for sharing the photo
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

13. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-18-2019)

Thank you!

It's been a week and he seems to have become a bit more at ease in his new surroundings already. I'm not sure what breed he is exactly but our other one looked very alike, except that he had more greens and yellows in his plumage. From what I can find online it could very well be an American singer. He probably is a hybrid, he has a lot of orange and white spots all over.

He isn't singing yet but most likely will start singing in the near future.

My sister insisted on getting a parakeet but there's just something about canaries that makes them really adorable.

Thanks again!

15. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-21-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Thanks for the update. Hopefully he will get used to his new home quickly. Looking forward to hearing about your new relationship with him. Does he have a name?

Hi Ken,i feel exactly like you did,similar happend to me 3 weeks ago with our 12 years old canary and feeling extremely guilty,i am absolutely devastated,sad and heartbroken. I think of him every single day! If you are still on this forum and reading this my post,pls contact me.