User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air filters, other questions

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Air filters, other questions

We've been considering getting Gracie a companion for a while now, especially now that she's not excessively hormonal (knock on wood). We'd need a cage upgrade for that, though, and the only space for a larger cage would be in my bedroom. Would having a companion balance out with her no longer being in the busiest area of the house?

I'm also asthmatic. Would an air filter make keeping her there safe for both of us? If so, what do you recommend? She'd likely go under a loft-bed, if this works out, but there's lots of sunlight and I spend a lot of time there.

If this isn't quite the best plan I'll hold back until we move somewhere else, but she'll get a companion one of these days lol. I just think it'd be best, they are such a social species. Would you recommend a female or a male 'tiel? I know she could get hormonal with either, but for obvious reasons I was leaning towards female -- in your experience what sort of pairs work better?

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-08-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Are you planning on having them in the same cage? It’s really a crap shoot as to whether they would get along together in the same cage. If they don’t get along, will you have enough room for two cages to separate them?

As to air filters, Austin or Rabbit are good filters. They are pricey, but you are getting a premium filter.

How has Gracie been? Has she laid any more eggs?

4. The following user likes this post:

rivx (10-11-2019)

Parrots

Yes, I'd be able to separate them. I plan to get a flight cage to introduce them in so if it doesn't work out I could fit two minimum size cages in the space. Cockatiels are pretty social though from what I hear so fingers crossed it'll work out lol. If not I'm sure they'll enjoy chattering to each other anyways.

She's been quite lovely. None since I last posted, no. She's been very curious about new things lately, although she's still hesitant when exploring.

A little nervous about the laptop, but she flew to it and spent a good amount of time with me anyways.

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-12-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    What a great pic!

8. The following user likes this post:

rivx (10-12-2019)

Parrots

Revisiting this, I forgot to ask; would it be easier to introduce a younger bird, or an adult? No guarantee for either, of course, JW! If we do decide to get a younger one should we DNA test before bringing it home or is the sex of the bird not overly important? I'm most worried about stirring up hormones again but then again she's been convinced a human female was her mate before, so I'm not sure.

I'm more into adult birds personally (older birds always seem to need a home more, I think) but I'm open to either, whatever works best.

Super Moderator

Parrots

That’s a hard question. Birds are like people....we get along with some, not so much with others. You could try a rescue with the agreement that you could return if they hate each other. The big concern is the sharing a cage. It might be better to plan on two separate cages and then your options might change...like maybe a budgie or a smaller parrot.

11. The following user likes this post:

rivx (10-22-2019)

Parrots

Oh yes! I'm expecting they won't want to share their space, especially since Gracie is so used to having her own. Fully prepared for that, just hoping for the best -- that they'll tolerate eachother enough to share out of cage time, at least, lol. I am ready for complete and utter hatred, though. Figure I should prepare for everything, both getting along and not getting along.

I am assuming they'll live in their own cages, especially since I'm more interested in owning a male after all these egg troubles...lol. I'll probably have them separated even if they do get along, in that case. Best to go in expecting that. I do think I have a soft spot for cockatiels, though, so I don't think I'm ready to branch out to new species just yet, unless someone chooses me of course. In any case, it'll be a year or so. Lots of time to think and prepare.

The plan as of now is to get a flight cage that I can separate into two cages (which makes both spaces roughly 31 wide x 22 deep, 21 tall depending -- comfortable for one 'tiel IIRC) so they can live separately, almost like those stacked cages? This also allows them to share a space if everyone (birds included) decide that's what they want, but still assumes that they won't. I figure it's easier to set things up to work either way, lol.
    Last edited by rivx; 10-22-2019 at 09:44 PM.

13. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-22-2019)

Parrots

Addition: I'm actually kind of considering a double flight, lol. Something like this:

Which still has the benefit but with more space for each bird, usually a good thing...though I do wonder if toe biting would be an issue lol. Gotta consider everything!

15. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-23-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

I had one of those for my Barrabands. I ended up putting a sheet of plexiglass between the two cages just be on the safe side. They could still see each other. Just some info...the cage I got was huge. It was super long and difficult to move. If you have space, it should be fine.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 10-25-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Parrots

Does anyone know if the whistling of a male would make her hormonal (even though I'd never house them in the same cage)? I don't know how frisky they are lol. I'm leaning towards a male, keeping them separately but nearby so they can talk back and forth. They might play together out of cage sometimes if they tolerate that, but that'd be it. Is that enough to make her want eggs again, or is it too hard to tell?
    Last edited by rivx; 10-25-2019 at 05:08 AM.

18. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-25-2019)