User Tag List

Thread: I'm a New Potato

Parrots

Potato - In an Egg Potato is an unhatched Pink and Grey Galah, He (deeming him male) will be hand raised, once he is weaned we will bring him home. We're so excited.

I'm a New Potato

Hi All

My name is Francine and I’m from Western Australia.

I’ve recently purchased a hand raised Pink and Grey Galah (Rose Breasted Cockatoo for the Non-Aussies).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140815113432.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	5311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140815113432.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	5311
    wild Galah)

He’s still in his egg right now and I wont get him until he’s been fully weaned.
    I’m doing all the research I can and wanting to give him the best life possible.

Potato is his name (actually it’s Captain Potato Salad, but we’re going with Potato), my 10 year old son named him. We’re so in love already and he’s not even hatched yet.

I just thought I’d jump on here and introduce myself. I’ll be searching and stalking through the topics trying to expand my knowledge.

I’d love to get to know you and hear about your own feathered lovelies.
    If you’ve got any best kept secrets or hints and tricks feel free to share them. I’m all too eager and willing to learn.

Thank you for having me.

Kindest of regards,
    Francine

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! You must be so excited. The wait will be worth it. Galahs are so beautiful and doing your research ahead of time is smart.
    Have you owned a parrot before? What made you decide to get one?

Potato is a great name!

Parrots

Potato - In an Egg Potato is an unhatched Pink and Grey Galah, He (deeming him male) will be hand raised, once he is weaned we will bring him home. We're so excited.
    @Dragonlady2

Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks! I am excited to be here.

research ahead of time is smart
    Knowledge is power. I love learning about things I'm interested in, and I cant be the bird owner I want to be without educating myself on whats best for him.

Have you owned a parrot before? What made you decide to get one?
    I've had birds on and off my whole life. I wanted hand raised this time so I could interact, play, train and engage with it. My son is 10, he wants to teach him things. He's collecting chopsticks right now for target training. He was the one who named him Potato (Captain Potato Salad! I could die )

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-04-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    What made you pick a galah?

I have a female Australian King and 2 Barabands (Superbs). Both are scarce in Canada. Not many breeders.

I also have an eclectus, which I believe originates from your area as well.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 09-04-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Parrots

@Dragonlady2

I love galahs. They're fun and quirky and have such wonderful personalities whats more my favourite colour is pink, will go with my decor (joking, wouldn't get a bird just to match my furnishings).
    Galahs are found absolutely everywhere across the whole of Australia except in the very centre where not much at all lives. It's breeding season right now and every morning when I walk my son to school we see them foraging in the front yards on the streets. When I finish work (I work in my son's school canteen) there is always 2 mated pairs (most cockatoos mate for life) sitting on a wooden fence when I walk past. It must be a routine for them. I could easily just watch them for hours. Fascinating. When you're drawn to something, you're drawn.

Eclectus are fun too, one of my good friends has one called Parker. She dotes on him. They are from are from North Eastern Australia (I'm south West), and the islands - Solomon Island, New Guinea, Sumba. A very tropical bird. I considered getting one honestly, but their needs (dietary) are a lot more complex and I'm not confident enough in myself to handle that. Plus, I thought about my climate as well. I'm not sure my area would be comfortable for a tropical species.

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-05-2019)