User Tag List

Thread: Dog attacking parrot

Dog attacking parrot

What do you guys do to teach your dog or other animals to play nice with your bird? I looked on other parrot forums (https://avianforums.com) but what some more input. Thx

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-16-2019)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Parrots should NOT have contact with predatory pets such as doge or cats! You should never consider having them play together, period! When someone does so there's too much potential for a catastrophe to ensue. As the caregiver/guardian to a companion parrot, it is your responsibility to protect and provide a safe environment for it. Too many folks think it's cute or "cool" to stage physical interactivity between dissimilar pet species for purposes of amusement and/or sharing on the Internet (often as a popularity tool to generate 'likes' or impress others, etc). Even if you are/were able to "teach" two such animals to interact amicably on a seemingly regular basis -which people have done- all it takes is a mood change or a surge of instinctual energy to result in a potentially lethal attack upon the prey species animal. Consequently, our advice to you is to do the right thing and keep your predatory and prey species pets permanently isolated from one another.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-16-2019), Lady (08-17-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Great question. There are so many YouTube videos showing prey and predator animals getting along that it gives a false impression that it's fine to expect this. I have a bird room and a cat and dog zone in my home. They never intermingle. Animals have instinctual behaviour that is unpredictable. What you don't see are the number of people who have lost their birds because they thought it was safe for them to be together.
    In a lot of cases the birds are clipped and that leaves them even more vulnerable to a sudden, out of character attack by a pet dog or cat.
    I would never expose my birds to any chance of an attack by my cats and dog.
    Better to be safe than sorry and grieving over the loss of your feathered friend.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (08-17-2019), PlaxMacaws (08-17-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Imagine living with such a consequence, it's not worth it not for a moment.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-17-2019), PlaxMacaws (08-17-2019)