User Tag List

Thread: New member

Hi

New member here. My wife and I have an 8 year old goffins cockatoo, a 7 year old Sunday conure, and a 5 year old Jenday conure. Got the conures from a pet store. The goffins cockatoo came from a family who for some reason didn’t want her anymore. She was 4 and a half years old when we got her. She is a feather plucker. Maybe that’s why they didn’t want her. In the last 4 years that we have had her, my wife and I have really fallen in love with her. She went through a few months last year when she let the feathers on her chest and wings grow, has gone back to plucking. We don’t care about that. We still love her so much. She is family to us. Any advice on the plucking would be appreciated. She has a ton of toys. She eats Zupreem fruit blend. Have tried other brands and doesn’t take to them nearly as well as Zupreem. She also gets plain oatmeal a couple of times a month. She gets lots of attention, playing games, singing, dancing. When the weather permits, we take her outside on the back deck in her portable cage. She takes showers with us about once a week. Mostly she like it when my wife is in the shower and I stand just outside the shower. She will get wet on my wife’s shoulder and runs along her arm and jumps to my shoulder, gets me all wet, and keeps repeating that process as long as we let her. We towel her off, which she doesn’t like, then she climbs up atop her highest perch out side her cage and wants to be left alone to sleep for awhile and air dry. I will post pics soon.

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-13-2019), Lady (08-17-2019), PlaxMacaws (08-16-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! Good for you for taking on a cockatoo. As to the feather plucking, have you taken her to an avian vet to rule out any health issues? As well, sometimes feather plucking becomes an ingrained habit.
    Will she eat any fresh or cooked food? Sweet potato, red peppers, carrots, broccoli etc may be the counterbalance she needs to the pellets. What kind of toys does she chew?
    My Eclectus was/is going through some hormonal changes and his mojo molt resulted in overpreening. I took a seagrass mat and wove some of his molted wing feathers into it. I attached to the cage with a zip tie by his favourite perch and he took to preening these feathers instead.
    Looking forward to some pics

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (08-17-2019), PlaxMacaws (08-16-2019)