User Tag List

Thread: Fun at the Vets

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.

Fun at the Vets

We took Casper for his annual "well bird" check-up yesterday. He seems to know where we are going and was making happy noises in the car on the way. When we entered the reception area it was lovely to see the young lady at the desk had a plum-headed parakeet on her shoulder. A good sign that birds there are cared for and happy.
    Casper decided that the others waiting needed to here his full repertoire of nursery rhyme and giggles and la-la-las. Once in the treatment room the vet opened the pet carrier to get Casper out so Casper immediately rolled over onto his back presenting the vet with waving feet and beak. I'm not sure if this was "come and get me if you're hard enough" or "I'm ready for trimming". The vet was very patient and Casper was calm whilst he was being felt all over before being returned to the carrier (without having his claws trimmed).
    The upshot was, that he is going in again next week to be gassed down and have his bloods done and xrays.
    He has been drinking from his water bowl recently which is something we have only seen him do a couple of times since he has been with us and his poop is very watery. When he came to us he had a fatty liver because of poor diet so we are aware that there may be repercussions as he gets older. But it may be because of the recent hot weather.
    At the reception desk on the way out, whilst booking Casper's next appointment the receptionist was telling the bird on her shoulder that she was going to be going to the lavatory in a few minutes and that the bird was not going with her "because that would be weird". It cracked me up.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-20-2019), kendrafitz (08-21-2019), PlaxMacaws (07-23-2019), rivx (07-22-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Casper sound like such a good boy. Hopefully there is nothing seriously wrong with him. Some of mine are great at the vet and others need to be towelled.
    I used to have my conure on my shoulder all the time when I went to the bathroom, until it came to me that I might accidentally flush the poor bird down the toilet. He loves getting a bath in the sink with running water...he might see a flushing toilet as fun...lol.

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-20-2019), Lady (08-17-2019), PlaxMacaws (07-23-2019), rivx (07-22-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We cancelled Caper's gas down as we realised that his exceptional thirst was caused by him licking too much salt off our sweaty bodies due to the heatwave.
    He is fine and loving the summer weather when it is not too hot.
    We moved his cage out into the garden to pressure wash all the sticky fruit remains off the other afternoon. When we had finished he climbed inside and settled himself down on a perch before we had a chance to replace the bottom trays, food bowls, toys and cozys. Perhaps he likes modernist minimalist open plan
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-31-2019), kendrafitz (08-21-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    My Willie will get right down on grate when I change his papers and I have to shoo him off. One or two of my other birds look at an exposed grate as something evil.
    Good to hear that all is well with Casper.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-31-2019), Lady (08-17-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Casper sure is a character. Very glad all is well.

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-17-2019)