User Tag List

Thread: Is this something to be concerned about?

Parrots

African Grey

Is this something to be concerned about?

I relatively recently brought home a 9 year old african grey, and he's great overall, but there are some things that I wonder if I should be concerned about.
    He is able to speak, he speaks when he's not in my vicinity and wants attention, but he never speaks when hes close to me, or anyone else. Is this normal?
    His right wing, and right wing only, droops down(see picture) a fair bit sometimes, I'm not sure if its a recent thing, but I don't remember seeing it until now.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hi and welcome to the forum! Lots of birds talk when the owner is out of the room. I would take a word or phrase that it uses a lot and repeat that over and over, then give it a treat. It may change the stimulus for the talking.

As for the wing, it wouldn’t hurt to have an avian vet to check it out.

3. The following user likes this post:

plax (06-10-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome to PP
    African greys are very intelligent and require a lot of mental stimulation. Do you leave a radio or tv on when you are not there? You will get to know the sort of music he prefers and can download his favourites which will also reduce the likelihood of him picking up annoying jingles. Parrots have good hearing so he can probably hear where you are in the house so try chatting to him when you hear him talking from another room. Just tell him what you are doing, much as you would to a small child.
    It does take a bird a long while to settle in to a new home so enjoy the journey as he becomes more responsive to you as you get to know each other. The more time you spend with him the more comfortable he will be with you.
    If you have not yet visited your avian vet it would be worth getting an appointment for a general check-up so that both you and your parrot get to know the routine for when or if you have a medical emergency. You will then be on the vet's 'books' and while you are there they can check the bird over and answer any questions you may have. Our's also sells bird food and gives us advice on the correct diet and other day to day issues.
    You should budget for at least one visit a year along with all the other bird keeping expenses like food, cleaning products and toys.
    Please keep us up to date with how his wing is and we love pictures
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 06-04-2019 at 07:33 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-04-2019), plax (06-10-2019)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    I would definitely seek an opinion from an avian veterinarian concerning his wing. It could be an indication of physical injury or a neurologic issue. Please keep us posted.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!