User Tag List

Thread: Do Your Birds Like Flowers?

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Do Your Birds Like Flowers?

Grace has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride when it comes to her vegetables since we started her on them (she seems to go from eating it one day to not eating it for a month, no rhyme or reason for it) but a few days ago she finished off the whole bowl. I'm very proud of her and think it could be good to change things up a little more...maybe, lol. Do your birds like flowers? I think she likes more colorful foods so it may be a nice touch. She loves foods in orange, especially and I have some edible orange flowers away. I checked and know they're safe for her, but in your experience, are they worth feeding?

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-20-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    What about wrapping a cooked piece of carrot in one of the flowers? Sounds like Gracie likes a lot of variety.

4. The following user likes this post:

rivx (05-20-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I just tried dandelions with my birds and they seemed to like them. I have a crop of them in my backyard...lol

6. The following user likes this post:

rivx (05-22-2019)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    We tried some of our flowers as well, to my surprise Gacy actually preferred her little white flowers over the marigolds. The name is slipping me now, though, lol. I got an edible flower mix recommended by Dr. Jason Crean in one of his avian nutrition groups since she likes them well enough. Saw he worked with TOP's recently and it caught my interest! I'm looking forward to figuring out which ones she enjoys.

EDIT: Garden snapdragon, is what it was I believe! When I first read they were safe for birds I was a little surprised as it's a gardeners tale that they keep pests away from gardens, but according to most sources, they actually attract birds and are edible to them. No wonder it never worked, lol. Even more surprised that she enjoyed it because I read human accounts that they're very bland and usually only used for decor purposes. Whatever floats her boat, I suppose.
    Last edited by rivx; 05-22-2019 at 09:51 PM.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-23-2019), Lady (05-24-2019)

LOL, I have never fed my bird with flowers until I read your post. I tried to feed my bird with forsythia but she didn't like it Maybe I have fed my bird with all kind of good food before so they are grumpy?

Birds are fond of pollen, seeds, berries, insects and nectar. Large flowers like Hibiscus, Datura particularly attract large birds. Sunbirds prefer tubular or cluster flowers like Lilies, Russelia, Ixora, Pentas, etc. ... Provide them crushed eggshells, also scatter seeds of Bajra, Jowar, Ragi for them.

Birds and flowers seem to go together but the nutritious bits of that still seems inconclusive. (Source: Biosphere