User Tag List

Thread: How many is too many?

Parrots

African greys, umbrella too , green wings , major Mitchells too, mullucan too, Amazon's , scarlet macaw, love bird , Camelot macaw , Blue and gold macaw , alexanderine , electus parrots , hyacinth , rainbow Lori , sulphur crested too , Senegals , meyers parrot , parrotlet , hawk headed parrot

How many is too many?

I've been thinking for a while about what to put as my first real post on here and I decided to go with a question I've been wanting to ask fellow bird owners for a long time. In your opinion how many birds is too many birds?

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-20-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Rule 1: Having many birds is fine as long as you have a documented and pre-funded plan of action so that others can come in and take over in case you have an accident or illness. Hopefully the 'others' are aware of, and agree to being part of your plans.
    There are too many stories of large quantities of caged birds causing huge problems for authorities. Meaning well is not enough.
    It also depends on your motivation, collecting birds for your own gratification is not a good thing, they should be living a life of freedom. Taking birds into your guardianship when they have nowhere to go because of their previous keepers lack of foresight is always commendable as long as rule one above is adhered to.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 04-20-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-20-2019), kendrafitz (04-22-2019), Lady (04-28-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Great question. Totally agree with what has been said so far. Another factor to consider is how much time do you have available to give to each bird. I know that most of my day is spent attending to the physical and emotional needs of my flock and I couldn’t possibly take on another one without taking away from my present birds.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-20-2019), Lady (04-28-2019)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    Late response, but it may vary by person as well. Grace is more than enough for me, lol. She's independent in her own way but insists on as much out of cage time as you can give and if you're not where she can see you, she's very upset! The only situation in which another bird would make sense for me ATM was if it was another 'tiel she could get more attention from. I'm fine with this, I think she deserves all the attention I can offer.
    Last edited by rivx; 04-25-2019 at 06:41 PM.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-25-2019), Lady (04-28-2019)

First, let's see how much you can afford it. How many birds are unimportant, can you spend a lot of time with them?
    And there are some rules: Many birds are equivalent to having a good space, a stable habitat. And you also need to be economically good enough to take care of their needs. We can't just buy and give up some food every day and run away. It is a shame that the birds will be autistic, and you may turn yourself into that bad guy.
    I also added whether the neighbors around you complain about it or not? I think really just 1-2 birds is enough. You will be able to have enough time to play and take care of them.
    This is just my opinion, anyway. I think you consider it carefully.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thank you for your input. Do you have any birds of your own?