User Tag List

Thread: Best first bird

Best first bird

Hi everyone. I’m new to keeping birds and I was wondering what bird would be good to start off with. I’ve done some research and the list I came up with are English budgies or parakeets, cockatiels and zebra finches. I was wondering which of these birds or any other would be best for a first time owner.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-16-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum. I don’t think there really is a “first” time bird. What are some of the things you are looking for in a pet bird?

the biggest thing I am looking for is a bird that like to be handled

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome. What you get from any bird will depend on how much time and effort you are prepared to put in. Budgies do make very good pets but if you are out all day consider getting a pair so they have company whilst you are not there. Please check to see if there is a rescue centre within easy reach where you can go and meet the various birds and hopefully a bird will choose you as its new guardian because that way getting along together will be a lot easier. You will know when you have been chosen!
    Please let us know how you get on and we will be happy to help with any queries that arise. Get the biggest cage you can that has the correct bar spacing for your bird and put stuff in there to keep the birds amused. Budgies love mirrors and bells.
    Good luck
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Newbie here, but I would like to give some opinion. Based on watching some documentary stuff and my cousin also has the African Gray, I can say that when we bring bird (or in this case let's say parrot) into our home, eventually we will be a part of "flock". The parrot relies on us everything (food, care, protection, etc). So in return, the parrot will learn our behaviour, listen to us, keep watching, etc. So before you become a pet parent, you need to make sure to understand individual species correctly. This general article might be great to start. I also would like to have a parrot as a pet, but being too busy with working lifestyle now I don't think I have a good amount of time to spend with my pet if I have one.