User Tag List

Thread: Reiki and Parrots

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Reiki and Parrots

Hello everyone, I'm sorry that I have been away so long. I hope everyone is doing well.

I have been studying Reiki for the last couple of months. I kind of stumbled upon it and loved it, and then began taking classes to learn how to practice. My main interest in it was really animals, my crew and maybe volunteering here and there. When I first began I tried on my dogs and Rosie and no one was interested. Rosie actually lunged and got me hard enough to break skin. Which is not the norm. She pinches me all the time, but rarely, if ever breaks skin. So I gave up for a while and just practiced on people.

I had another class yesterday and was talking to the teacher about my issue with my dogs and Rosie. She explained a better technique for animals and I tried it out last night. It has been incredible. I have a very anxious dog who will start shaking and it is very hard to calm her down. I tried the new technique and she stopped shaking and completely relaxed. With my new accomplishment I decided to brave it out with Rosie today. She loved it, got fluffy and happy. She relaxed as much as Rosie can relax - she is a girl that never stops moving. I stopped when she decided that she loved me so much she wanted to share her lunch with me.

What made me laugh is both Rosie and Bailey, my anxious dog have been vying for me to give them some Reiki love all afternoon. Such a complete difference from my first try with them.

Has anyone else tried Reiki for their birds or thought of it at all? I'm very curious about hearing what others think.
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-15-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    How do you do Reiki on Rosie? I have heard of it...just wondering how it works with animals.

Great to hear from you, Kendra

4. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (04-16-2019)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    How do you do Reiki on Rosie? I have heard of it...just wondering how it works with animals.

Great to hear from you, Kendra
    I ask her if I can do some Reiki on her. Then I just let the Reiki energy flow very softly when I am preening her. When she’s had enough she generally moves.

It’s a very soothing, calming energy.

Animals are much more aware of energy flow than humans. So it’s important for me to ask or explain what I am going to do. If they aren’t interested and leave then I respect that. When I Reiki my dogs I let the energy flow while petting them. Unless I find a spot that is bothering them. Then I work on that area.

Reiki can also be done without touching the animal. I have been trained with both touch and hands off in general Reiki. I prefer touch with my guys and people. People that volunteer at shelters very often sit near the animals and let the energy flow near them. If the animal is interested they often come closer to receive more energy.

I am hoping to take a Reiki course specifically for animals but the woman who teaches the specific course doesn’t have it scheduled anytime soon.

It’s nice to be back. How are you doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-16-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I retired a few years ago and since then I am busier than I ever was fostering children and working. Between the birds, the dog and the cats, my days can be never ending at times.

How has Rosie been healthwise?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hi Kendra
    welcome back, with regard to Reiki I have always thought that "if it works for you, go for it" but have never had occasion to try it myself.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (04-18-2019)