User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacterial Infection – 10 Shots for 10 Days

Parrots

Yellow Nape Amazon

Bacterial Infection – 10 Shots for 10 Days

I just brought my yellow nape Amazon: Kokomo (30 yrs. old / laid an egg for the first & only time on Nov 2017) to an Avian vet. Her last visit to a vet was about 15 years ago for just a checkup and everything was fine. The only reason why I brought her to the vet was that she was picking at her feet; I had the money and time. The doctor took blood, everything was good, her weight is normal and he did an oral culture and found out she has a bacterial infection called Pseud. aeruginosa.

Treatment: They want to give her a shot of medication a day, for 10days.
    Not missing a day. Sounds like a lot of stress for my bird to endure that for 10 days or oral medication, twice a day for 20 days.

What I would like to know…
    1. Ten shots normal?
    2. Could Kokomo have this bacterial infection for years?
    3. Can you die from Pseud. aeruginosa?

I also wanted to just mention that she strictly an inside bird. That's only because I live in a condominium and I don't have a patio. Occasionally I’ll take her outside. I’m currently using Terbinafine Hydrochloride Antifungal Cream 1% on her feet subscribed by the doctor and that seems to help a lot along with drops, Herbal Complex 30cc for calming & inching (water)

Thanks,
    Scott

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Was the vet able to to tell you how she got the infection? With regard to the treatment, it’s probably best to trust the vet. Unfortunately, any change like what Kokomo is going through is bound to stress her out a little. It’s only for a short period of time and she will probably settle.
    Welcome to the forum.

Parrots

Yellow Nape Amazon
    Hi, never told me how she got the bacteria.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome. Ten shots does sound rather traumatic. I know I wouldn't like it. Can the medication be mixed with food? Casper usually has his in porridge because we know he is going to eat it all. We have had to feed him meds with a syringe but that was not too bad, maybe he remembers when he was fed that way after hatching out of his egg.
    Some meds taste better than others and are easier to get the bird to accept. The vet usually tells us if they are bitter because he tastes them to find out.
    Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Hello Scott. Welcome to our community. I'm sorry to hear about Kokomo's situation. Is she experiencing many symptoms that the vet considers consistent with a Pseudomonas infection? Is there a discharge from her nares or any sign of crusting around them? Does she sneeze much, cough, or demonstrate any eye irritation? Does her breathing sound clear?

Pseudomonas can be resistant to oral antibiotic administration. Veterinarians may thus opt for a course of injected antibiotics. If I were you, I would seek a second opinion from another qualified avian veterinarian, and do so prior to going forward with the treatments (injections). That second assessment should include another culture sample and gram stain for evaluation.

Here's some information about Pseudomonas in psittacine birds: http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/ar...seudomonas.htm

Please keep us updated.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-13-2019), Dragonlady2 (04-13-2019)

Parrots

Yellow Nape Amazon
    Thank you, everyone, who responded. Kokomo hasn't been acting himself lately, her eating habits are less and her stool sometimes is yellowish & green. Maybe, I caught the Pseudomonas.

Parrots

Yellow Nape Amazon
    Hi, I want to thank everybody for your well wishes, advice, and expertise. I've decided to bring Kokomo to the vet and board her at the vet for 10 days while she gets her shots every day & at the same time because there’s a couple of days I’m not able to bring her in until later in the day. I spoke to a couple of parrot experts at my local pet (bird) store and they assured me that she was safe and the vet is doing the right treatment. The shots aren't as bad as we think they are.
    Thanks again,
    Scott

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-17-2019), Dragonlady2 (04-16-2019)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    Gacy got an injection of some sort once...I'd have to look back on the paper. Never seemed to bother her, either, though. I've had a mouse receive a shot without much fuss -- worries us more than the animals, I guess.

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-17-2019), Dragonlady2 (04-16-2019)

Parrots

Yellow Nape Amazon
    Just letting everyone know that Kokomo is home. She finished her 10 shots in 10 days. The doctor said she did really well. Kokomo is adjusting and happy to be home again.

13. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-25-2019), Dragonlady2 (04-25-2019), PlaxMacaws (04-25-2019), rivx (04-25-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Great news! Do you have any pics of Kokomo?

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-25-2019), PlaxMacaws (04-26-2019), rivx (04-25-2019)