User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can’t decide on a bird species

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    How cute, I bet you are excited
    But you also need to be prepared.
    Have you sorted the locality out your nearest avian veterinary clinic, it is best to be one step ahead in case of accidents/problems and a general health check up for him once he has settled in would be sensible. The vet can also advise on diet and cleaning products.
    Has the seller given a plausible reason for wanting to put the bird up for adoption? They may not be telling you the whole truth and there maybe medical problems that they do not wish to finance.

When Casper chose to live with us we were not sure of his age so tried asking at the vet clinics near his previous home if they had any records... and bingo, we were amazed that after a few seconds clack clack clacking on the keyboard we had his hatch date
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    How cute, I bet you are excited
    But you also need to be prepared.
    Have you sorted the locality out your nearest avian veterinary clinic, it is best to be one step ahead in case of accidents/problems and a general health check up for him once he has settled in would be sensible. The vet can also advise on diet and cleaning products.
    Has the seller given a plausible reason for wanting to put the bird up for adoption? They may not be telling you the whole truth and there maybe medical problems that they do not wish to finance.

When Casper chose to live with us we were not sure of his age so tried asking at the vet clinics near his previous home if they had any records... and bingo, we were amazed that after a few seconds clack clack clacking on the keyboard we had his hatch date
    Thank you, yes I am prepared to take him to the vet once he settles.
    The seller has 5 kids and just had a brand new baby. She doesn’t have the time the bird needs from her so she’s selling him. I trust she’s telling the truth but will also be ready to make sure he’s healthy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-05-2019), Dragonlady2 (04-05-2019)

Parrots

I would have sold some of the kids

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-05-2019)

I would have sold some of the kids
    Hahahahah right?! Birds are so much better than kids

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-07-2019)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    How beautiful! I hope all goes well!! Best get some frozen chop ready, ekkies eat a ton of veg to my knowledge. Absolutely lovely birds, fantastic choice.

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by rivx View Post
    How beautiful! I hope all goes well!! Best get some frozen chop ready, ekkies eat a ton of veg to my knowledge. Absolutely lovely birds, fantastic choice.
    Thank you! I brought him home last night. He’s been very timid but LOVES to get super close to my face and just stare at me. He will let me know he doesn’t wanna be touched by saying “no bite” or “no thanks”. He nips a little. Not very hard but I’m still trying to teach him not to bite. So far he’s let me pet his head feathers a little but we’re still gaining trust. His first owners abused him and didn’t feed him fresh foods so it’s gonna be a trial and error teaching him to eat veggies and fruits. I mix it with his regular seed and pellets in hopes he’ll grow to like them and try em out. He HATES men but luckily he’s okay with my boyfriend feeding him little treats and being near him.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-07-2019), Dragonlady2 (04-07-2019)

Parrots

Congratulations, I hope he settles in soon. They can be persuaded that men can be nice really, it took Casper about six months but it was worth the pain
    No Thanks!
    What a polite bird.

14. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-07-2019)

Congratulations, I hope he settles in soon. They can be persuaded that men can be nice really, it took Casper about six months but it was worth the pain
    What a polite bird.
    Thank you! He seems to be doing better than all my previous birds as far as settling in. Did you ever have problems with nippy birds? If so do you have any tips or tricks you used to help them stop biting and get more comfortable? His previous owners said he would nip all the time and ever really attempted to wean him off of it.

16. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-07-2019)

Parrots

The beak is a birds way of communicating... either by noise or touch.
    Casper knows exactly how hard to bite in order to draw blood. But he stopped doing that when he got us trained properly
    Fortunately he doesn't bite that hard any more but we will occasionally get a nip if he thinks we deserve it (but for reasons that are not explained to us).
    We also get nips when we are not paying attention and he wants neck scritches, or he attacks our hands when we are trying to type, or if he is on the floor wanting to be picked up he nibbles at our toes.
    And then there is boisterous play, he loves to bite the webs of fingers.
    None of it really hard and if he does hurt us he gets told off and put back in his cage. Which should make him realise we are not pleased but sometimes when he mimics the telling off it is hard not to laugh.

The beak is a birds way of communicating... either by noise or touch.
    Casper knows exactly how hard to bite in order to draw blood. But he stopped doing that when he got us trained properly
    Fortunately he doesn't bite that hard any more but we will occasionally get a nip if he thinks we deserve it (but for reasons that are not explained to us).
    We also get nips when we are not paying attention and he wants neck scritches, or he attacks our hands when we are trying to type, or if he is on the floor wanting to be picked up he nibbles at our toes.
    And then there is boisterous play, he loves to bite the webs of fingers.
    None of it really hard and if he does hurt us he gets told off and put back in his cage. Which should make him realise we are not pleased but sometimes when he mimics the telling off it is hard not to laugh.
    Did you get Casper trained by someone or did you do it yourself? I’d like to train my birb boy but I’m used to training smaller birds and haven’t figured out his specific body language yet. Yoshi only nips me but he bites my boyfriend to the point of drawing blood (his men issues). our conure doesn’t bite he only preens us and I want to get to that point with Yoshi.

19. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-08-2019)