User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can’t decide on a bird species

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Zion, I applaud your attitude - if only everyone had your common sense when deciding they want a bird in their home
    If you can manage it and they will let you, spend more time at the rescue getting to know the characters there and maybe helping out a bit. It will be time well invested.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-02-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Sun conures belong to the Aratinga genus of conures. They are more noisy than conures in the Pyrrhura genus. I have heard the screech of a sun and I know I personally could not manage that pitch and loudness. My Crimson bellied conure belongs to the Pyrrhura genus. He definitely is quieter and more laid back.
    As to intelligence, I personally think all birds are intelligent and each have their strengths. It depends on what our expectations of them.

4. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by rivx View Post
    Conures are indeed very silly. Never met one who wasn't a total goofball, lol. I don't own one, though, just a little 'tiel! They've also got quite the character on them, known for the head scratches it seems. Birds are individuals, though, so that's always something to keep in mind.
    You’re right that’s another thing I’ve been having to remind myself of. Birds have their own individual personalities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-02-2019), Dragonlady2 (04-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Zion, I applaud your attitude - if only everyone had your common sense when deciding they want a bird in their home
    If you can manage it and they will let you, spend more time at the rescue getting to know the characters there and maybe helping out a bit. It will be time well invested.
    I will take your advice and do so! Not sure why I hadn’t thought of that before. Thank you so much for your helpful tips and knowledge

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Sun conures belong to the Aratinga genus of conures. They are more noisy than conures in the Pyrrhura genus. I have heard the screech of a sun and I know I personally could not manage that pitch and loudness. My Crimson bellied conure belongs to the Pyrrhura genus. He definitely is quieter and more laid back.
    As to intelligence, I personally think all birds are intelligent and each have their strengths. It depends on what our expectations of them.
    Yes I should’ve added that conures are as well just as intelligent as all birds are. Hopefully I’ll be able to spend some time with these different breeds and get to know if I can handle the loudness of the sun conure or not

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Parrots

1 male White-faced Cockatiel named Domino 1 male Pearl Pied Cockatiel named Yahtzee and 1 male Cockatiel in Heaven named Boo, I love you Boo <3
    I don't have one, but I think green-cheeked conures are kind of cuddly and nice? I've only seen them on Youtube videos, like Jontron's Jacques and JaidenAnimations's Ari. It might be how they're trained though, because I've seen a video where Jontron says his other green-cheeked conure (Cinnamon) isn't like Jacques. Like, Cinnamon would be mean to both Jon and Jacques at times, biting and nipping at them. He said he trained them the exact same way, but she turned out different haha (But he's said that the two birds get along, so I guess Cinnamon is the dominant one??)
    And idk too much about Ari, but from what I've seen of him, he seems pretty nice ^^ Jaiden loves him, but she says he's a brat at times. But I think all birds can be like that. I know mine (a Cockatiel) can be! lol

I hope you find the perfect bird for you soon!

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-04-2019), rivx (04-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveBirbs View Post
    I don't have one, but I think green-cheeked conures are kind of cuddly and nice? I've only seen them on Youtube videos, like Jontron's Jacques and JaidenAnimations's Ari. It might be how they're trained though, because I've seen a video where Jontron says his other green-cheeked conure (Cinnamon) isn't like Jacques. Like, Cinnamon would be mean to both Jon and Jacques at times, biting and nipping at them. He said he trained them the exact same way, but she turned out different haha (But he's said that the two birds get along, so I guess Cinnamon is the dominant one??)
    And idk too much about Ari, but from what I've seen of him, he seems pretty nice ^^ Jaiden loves him, but she says he's a brat at times. But I think all birds can be like that. I know mine (a Cockatiel) can be! lol

I hope you find the perfect bird for you soon!
    Thank you so much for the input! My boyfriends dusky conure is sweet but he’s going through bluffing rn so he’s such a brat to me. But it could also be the fact that he’s just bonded with my boyfriend

Hey everyone! I called my rescue to ask questions about their birds but nothing seemed fit. I even went in a few times to see their birds. But yesterday I got lucky. I’ve found a really awesome bird online. He’s an Eclectus Parrot, a bit older. He might just be the perfect fit. Found him on ksl and I’ll be getting him next Friday. He’s really timid but I think with a lot of love and training and trust he’ll turn out to be an amazing companion! They say he’s really healthy which is great to hear! I want to thank everyone for the help, tips, and information. You’ve all been so awesome and I really appreciate you all taking the time. Will be back with more updates on the little guy

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-05-2019), Dragonlady2 (04-05-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Congrats. Looking forward to hearing more about him. How old is he?

17. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Congrats. Looking forward to hearing more about him. How old is he?
    She said she wasn’t quite sure but she said over a few years old

19. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-05-2019)