User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can’t decide on a bird species

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Please don’t take this the wrong way...be extremely cautious when letting both birds out together. They haven’t had time to get used to each other yet. There is a huge size difference and one bite from the Eclectus can do serious damage to the conure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Please don’t take this the wrong way...be extremely cautious when letting both birds out together. They haven’t had time to get used to each other yet. There is a huge size difference and one bite from the Eclectus can do serious damage to the conure.
    Yes I do know this thank you. I babysit and watch carefully when they’re both out. They don’t get left unattended. I was very worried about that too. The Eclectus was raised with other small birds and lived in the same cage with a budgie so I’m trying to introduce them slowly by putting their cages next to each other. So far they haven’t shown interest in each other but I’ll keep working with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-08-2019)

I finally figured out why Yoshi was getting so close to my face. He wanted to step onto my shoulder to interact with me. I tried it today and he kept giving my lips a lil peck and making a kissing noise. I thought it would take him longer to warm up enough to get to that point but he already acts very comfortable I’m excited about this though still working on full trust always.

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-08-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    There was no actual training with Casper, more a case of getting to know each other. He didn't trust or like male humans because of the situation in his previous home. The epiphany came one evening, he was on Margaret's lap and she was giving him head scritches. He was enjoying it so much that he relaxed and had his eyes shut so I reached over and carried on with the tickles and teasing the casings off some pin feathers. He opened his eyes and realised it was me doing really nice things and from that point on the bites became less and less hurtful as he grew in confidence. I took till about six months after he moved in here.
    There is no question of him being a one person bird, he makes sure to spend time with both of us, after a time with me in the armchair he will look across at Margaret and keep saying hello until we both reach out and join hands and he walks across the bridge.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    There was no actual training with Casper, more a case of getting to know each other. He didn't trust or like male humans because of the situation in his previous home. The epiphany came one evening, he was on Margaret's lap and she was giving him head scritches. He was enjoying it so much that he relaxed and had his eyes shut so I reached over and carried on with the tickles and teasing the casings off some pin feathers. He opened his eyes and realised it was me doing really nice things and from that point on the bites became less and less hurtful as he grew in confidence. I took till about six months after he moved in here.
    There is no question of him being a one person bird, he makes sure to spend time with both of us, after a time with me in the armchair he will look across at Margaret and keep saying hello until we both reach out and join hands and he walks across the bridge.
    He sounds like such a sweetheart! I guess it’ll just take time with yoshi as well. He bit my face last night when I tried putting him back in his cage for bedtime which was so upsetting and left me with a large swollen cheek this morning. Time will tell hopefully like Casper with you

8. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-08-2019)

Parrots

Casper did have to be reminded several times about 'no biting' after Margaret had a day out in London and didn't take him
    She did get some excellent photos of the feral parakeets in central London though.

Casper did have to be reminded several times about 'no biting' after Margaret had a day out in London and didn't take him
    She did get some excellent photos of the feral parakeets in central London though.
    Yeah I guess birdies will always get a bit nippy. That sounds like a fun day though! I’ve been scared to pick up Yoshi again because I don’t want anymore bites to the face. He left a really nasty gash on my cheek that is still having the right side of my face swollen after several days

Parrots

Try not to startle the bird by making sudden movements, I think that is mainly when M gets nipped

Try not to startle the bird by making sudden movements, I think that is mainly when M gets nipped
    Okay thank you I will definitely remember that one. Although sometimes I ask yoshi to step up and I sit there for a second very calmly and slowly and he nips anyways. Which is probably because we are still gaining trust and he has abuse traumas

Parrots

Sort of "I may be little but I can bite so you will be nice to me" birdy logic