User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can’t decide on a bird species

Can’t decide on a bird species

Hi my name is Zion, I’ve been thinking about getting a bird for a while. I’ve had parakeets for 12 years and am ready to try a different breed. My boyfriend had a dusky conure and he’s the sweetest. 8 months old and is already very attached to him. I’m trying to find a companion bird. I’ve been looking into getting a sun conure or ringneck. I know they’re both very different birds. I’m looking for a bird that’s more on the cuddly side but also very intelligent. I’d like a best friend that bonds to me. However I’m having trouble deciding between the two breeds. I know every bird is different. Is there one breed that would be easier to bond with and train? What’re your thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-01-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello Zion and welcome to PP
    I cannot help you choose because I only have experience of our Amazon parrot but I wanted to suggest that you check out any rescue centres near you. There are many birds who's guardians are no longer able to care for them for various reasons like illness or infirmity and it would be wonderful if you could give one a new loving home. Just make sure that you are not persuaded to take an unsuitable bird that you would have to return.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-01-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum. What you want in a bird is everybody’s dream bird. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that the bird you choose will have the characteristics you desire. As babies, birds can be pretty compliant. However, as they go through puberty, their behaviour often changes. My suggestion is to visit rescues, pet stores etc, that have a variety of older birds. You will be able to see for yourself how they behave and find out why the birds are for resale/rehoming. You might also find that a different bird suits you.

6. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Hello Zion and welcome to PP
    I cannot help you choose because I only have experience of our Amazon parrot but I wanted to suggest that you check out any rescue centres near you. There are many birds who's guardians are no longer able to care for them for various reasons like illness or infirmity and it would be wonderful if you could give one a new loving home. Just make sure that you are not persuaded to take an unsuitable bird that you would have to return.
    I’m planning on getting from my local rescue as I don’t like to buy from chains and pet shops but all they have right now are younger birds.

8. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. What you want in a bird is everybody’s dream bird. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that the bird you choose will have the characteristics you desire. As babies, birds can be pretty compliant. However, as they go through puberty, their behaviour often changes. My suggestion is to visit rescues, pet stores etc, that have a variety of older birds. You will be able to see for yourself how they behave and find out why the birds are for resale/rehoming. You might also find that a different bird suits you.
    All the birds at my local rescue only have younger birds because people buy out the older birds as we have a lot of bird lovers here. Do you have any suggestions on how to choose a fitting bird despite the breed and more based on personality? I’d like the bird to choose me over me choosing the bird but it seems a little harder when they’re so young. Thanks so much for your replies happy to be here

10. The following user likes this post:

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    For starters, what drew your interest to a sun conure or ringneck?

Even babies have the ability to choose a person they like. See if you can get some experience handling some young birds. You will be able to see the different responses to you.

12. The following user likes this post:

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    I don't think any species has a guaranteed behavior but to my knowledge, IRN are not known for being very cuddly (though they are great companions when not bluffing, you don't need to cuddle your best friend!), but I'm not sure how true that is. I only met one and he was very outgoing and playful, great company. A lot of people say let the bird choose you -- within reason, of course, make sure you can afford to care for their species -- and I think that could be a good idea. I'm sure they can connect you with a bird that suits your household if you tell them what you're looking for and you can meet them and see who you connect with
    Last edited by rivx; 04-02-2019 at 04:04 AM.

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-02-2019), Dragonlady2 (04-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    For starters, what drew your interest to a sun conure or ringneck?

Even babies have the ability to choose a person they like. See if you can get some experience handling some young birds. You will be able to see the different responses to you.
    I’ve been doing a lot of research on different kinds of birds other than the ones I’ve always had. The conure Interests me because my boyfriend has one and he’s very cuddly and really silly. Very sweet but a little feisty. Ringnecks seem very intelligent which draws me to them. Those are just the breeds I’ve been looking at but I’m completely open to any other breed. I’d just like to have a bond and connection with the bird which is my top priority. I’ll go to my rescue this week and play around with their feather friends they have there to get a better idea. Thanks so much for the tips very much appreciated

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rivx View Post
    I don't think any species has a guaranteed behavior but to my knowledge, IRN are not known for being very cuddly (though they are great companions when not bluffing, you don't need to cuddle your best friend!), but I'm not sure how true that is. I only met one and he was very outgoing and playful, great company. A lot of people say let the bird choose you -- within reason, of course, make sure you can afford to care for their species -- and I think that could be a good idea. I'm sure they can connect you with a bird that suits your household if you tell them what you're looking for and you can meet them and see who you connect with
    Very good points! I’ve always seen ringnecks acting very silly and playful which I love but I also like to wind down some days and pet my little birdies and have them be close to me. My personality is very calm and cuddly so I’m not sure if that would mesh well with an outgoing bird or if it would be a good change of pace and encourage me to be more outgoing. The only thing I don’t like about what I’ve read and experiences with sun conures is that they are very loud (of course all birds are to an extent) but my boyfriends bird is pretty mellow as far as screaming goes. I don’t mind the loudness but I also am thinking of going for a more vocally mellow bird

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    Conures are indeed very silly. Never met one who wasn't a total goofball, lol. They can pack quite the screech, though, that's true. I don't own one, so I can't say I have any real experience, though... just a little 'tiel here! They've also got quite the character on them, known for the head scratches it seems. I find they're often underestimated. They're all little individuals, though. I hope you find your fid soon.
    Last edited by rivx; 04-02-2019 at 04:14 AM.

20. The following 2 users like this post: