User Tag List

Thread: Pine cones

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.

Pine cones

After a week of gale the sun broke through today between the showers so Margaret and I walked up to the arboretum in the grounds of our agricultural college.
    Casper now has a good stock of pine cones in differing shapes and sizes blown off the various species of pine trees. We had to run them under the tap to get the insect life out and will be baking them dry. There are a couple of large cones that are oozing sticky resin, sticky stuff remover has got it off and they were given another wash afterwards.
    Free pine seeds but he has to work to get them out of the cones
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-17-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I love finding pine cones...they’re a lot cheaper than buying them online. . We have lots of pine trees on the property but the squirrels beat us to them. I agree, they are great for foraging.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Have you given Casper any of the pine cones yet? Did you take any pic's of him enjoying the hunt for the seeds?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    He had another this morning and was very excited about it, making lots of 'happy parrot' noises from inside his 'den' which is an upturned cardboard carton.
    He has become very shy about having his picture taken and as soon as we point a camera lens in his direction he tries to attack it. I am restricted to sneaky phone pics.
    I will take some photos if I get a chance later of the inside of his den. At the moment he is trying to eat a seed bar that is hanging inside his cage from outside the bars. It is right by the open cage door so he could easily go in but that would be far too easy
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following user likes this post:

Lady (05-24-2019)