User Tag List

Thread: Olive Oil on Feathers

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Olive Oil on Feathers

Gracie's got some olive oil on her lower stomach/tail/but (it was a tiny little spot to begin with, but ah. Oils.) and I'm wondering if there's a way to get it off. Misting helped, and she doesn't seem to care, but I think she looks a bit gross on the tail, lol. I've heard of bathing her with Dawn but that seems to require holding her and I'm sure she'll manage to get it in her eye by struggling or worse, give herself a heart attack. Tell me if I'm being paranoid, of course.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    If it’s just a little, she will probably preen it off. If it starts to spread or stuff starts to stick to it, you better get the Dawn out.

3. The following user likes this post:

rivx (03-15-2019)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    It just spread through her tail feathers the most, with some on her tummy (mostly on one side), Nothing sticking to it, though lol. Is that good enough to work out? I can get a picture in the morning if needed! I'll probably give her another normal bath as well as that helped her preen most of it.

Hopefully I won't have to bathe her! If I should, any tips?

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-15-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Some people use palm oil on their birds, supposed to be good for their feathers so I suppose olive oil is not much different. Is she trying to coat herself in it so she can squeeze between the bars?
    In our experience you can lead the parrot to the bath but you can't make him wash
    Casper does enjoy being misted with a plant mister with very fine spray, apologies to those who have seen this picture whenever this subject comes up.

Yes, I like this! by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-15-2019)