User Tag List

Thread: How do I know what is safe?

Parrots

Cockatiel

How do I know what is safe?

Hi there. I have a cockatiel named Boo who is currently in a heavy molt. To help him with his molting, my mom bought him some molting supplement. The thing I am worried about though is is it safe for him? How do I know? And what are the red flags of a bad product? I have been trying to up his vitamin A with specific foods (veggies) but he doesn't have much of an appetite in this current molt. Hence her purchasing the supplement.

The product: Quiko
    Molting Egg Food Supplement

Ingredients: Dried Egg, Wheat Flour, Sugar, Honey, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Flax Seed, Sesame Seed, Salt, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Color Added (Yellow 5, Yellow 6).

As far as the ingredients go, my main concern is the salt, sugar and color added. It doesn't tell you how much of everything is in it, only some ingredients, and I'm not sure what levels are safe. I've always been told to be wary of products for animals, as not all products are created equal and regulations can sometimes be iffy. I just want to know if this is safe and how to tell in the future. I tried googling and the most I got were some basic product reviews. Any help is much appreciated!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I haven’t used this product. It should be safe to use as it is made for birds. You could always check with your vet.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Aye, it shouldn't be a problem, the amount the bird will consume is quite small and the amount of salt, etc. is only a small part of that.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-14-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I like products that say non gmo and certified organic but research always needs to be done. My idea of organic is natural, coming straight from nature. That being said products usually have something in them to keep their shelf life long.