User Tag List

Thread: Building Flight Muscles

Building Flight Muscles

Hello all ! I recent got a new macaw, Cupid, from a neglectful situation. She is 31 and for 20 years was kept in a very small cage, not even big enough to fully open her wings. The vet says her muscles are practically non existent. She can't fly at all poor baby. My question is how would I go about helping her build those muscles? Has anyone dealt with this before ?

Here is cupid ! Enjoying her new life of Adventures!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-13-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-13-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome and thank you for rescuing Cupid. If that is a pic of him outside, you should harness train him. Even though he can’t fly now, a gust of wind can really give him lift. As well, a hawk could swoop down to get him.
    He probably needs to learn how to use those wings. Try misting him with water to see if he will flap them while getting wet.
    What is he eating now? Has the vet given any advice as to diet?

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-13-2019), Quakerella (03-13-2019), victoriashelbie (03-13-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Casper was kept in a small cage for many years before coming to us. We exercise his wings by sitting him on a finger and holding it above our head then swooping down to ground level with the bird hanging on and flapping his wings. If he has had enough before us he flops over backwards on the finger to hang upside down. He's a comedian.
    I don't know how practical this is with a much bigger and heavier bird like yours.
    He also gets a lot of exercise chasing an empty plastic drinking water bottle around the room on the floor.
    In the six years he has lived with us we have only had one scary moment out in the garden. Casper loves to sit in our magnolia tree whilst we sit below reading or in Margaret's case, knitting. On this occasion a neighbour's window caught a gust of wind and flew open causing a bright flash of reflected sunlight. It spooked Casper and he took off over the hedge out of our property, landing on the sidewalk the other side. Fortunately he just stayed put, waiting for one of us to go and fetch him and didn't wander out into the busy traffic.

Casper sleeping in the garden by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 03-13-2019 at 10:03 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-13-2019), victoriashelbie (03-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Welcome and thank you for rescuing Cupid. If that is a pic of him outside, you should harness train him. Even though he can’t fly now, a gust of wind can really give him lift. As well, a hawk could swoop down to get him.
    He probably needs to learn how to use those wings. Try misting him with water to see if he will flap them while getting wet.
    What is he eating now? Has the vet given any advice as to diet?
    Thanks for the advice! We do go outside often and I will look into a harness.

She is currently eating Zupreem naturals with fresh veggies in the morning and some proteins and fruit in the evening. She was very thin when I got her but has put in weight and the vet says she is a very healthy bird overall.

She will flap her wings when getting a bath and likes to sit on top of her cage and flap her wings vigorously for a few seconds while holding onto her cage.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-14-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-13-2019), Lady (04-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Casper was kept in a small cage for many years before coming to us. We exercise his wings by sitting him on a finger and holding it above our head then swooping down to ground level with the bird hanging on and flapping his wings. If he has had enough before us he flops over backwards on the finger to hang upside down. He's a comedian.
    I don't know how practical this is with a much bigger and heavier bird like yours.
    He also gets a lot of exercise chasing an empty plastic drinking water bottle around the room on the floor.
    In the six years he has lived with us we have only had one scary moment out in the garden. Casper loves to sit in our magnolia tree whilst we sit below reading or in Margaret's case, knitting. On this occasion a neighbour's window caught a gust of wind and flew open causing a bright flash of reflected sunlight. It spooked Casper and he took off over the hedge out of our property, landing on the sidewalk the other side. Fortunately he just stayed put, waiting for one of us to go and fetch him and didn't wander out into the busy traffic.

Casper sleeping in the garden by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    Thanks for the advice! I will definitely give it a try !!

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-14-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-13-2019), Lady (04-28-2019), PrincessTiel X (03-15-2019)