User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Here! Advice Appreciated

Parrots

WhiteFace Pearl-Pied Female Cockatiel 'Princess' & Pied Male Cockatiel 'Charlie'.

Cool New Here! Advice Appreciated

Hi, I joined this site because I have myself a Lovely Pair of Cockatiels! The first I'll mention is a Male Pied with no other mutations present visually. He's 7 months old this month & he is currently going through his 1st Molt. His Future Mate is a Gorgeous 2.5 to 3 year old WhiteFace Pearl-Pied Female! (Don't know her exact age, but I am certain that she is fully mature.) The Breeder I purchased her from estimated her to be over 2 years old. They are each from Different Breeders, and Charlie loves Princess. I feel as though he'll have no troubles mating her at 9 months old (In May) And I have already set up a breeder box, though I may need to put a lid on it and also buy a Brooder. I am prepared to do those things, and will be encouraging them to mate shortly.

They Both look Healthy, and Princess is by no means a chronic plucker. However, my mother is worried because she will occasionally pull a loose feather. I told her this is normal (for context, I live at home because I am physically handicapped) Am I right? Is it Normal?

There is one more small thing. Lol. Both of their Vents Look slightly dirty. Does this indicate sickness, or do they just need a bath? We've never bathed or spray bottled them at all. Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by PrincessTiel X; 03-12-2019 at 12:33 AM.
    Hold Fast to Dreams, For if Dreams Die, Life is a Bird That Cannot Fly~

NOTE: The Above Picture is of My Whiteface Pearl-Pied Female, Princess~ Getting her head scratched, but edited to look like another, Cartoon Tiel is scratching that itch for her, with his foot My handicap makes my fine motor skills poorer than most. I think it's kinda cute, regardless &&The Greenwing Macaw(s) in my Profile Picture is Merely a Dream of Mine! I don't own one

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum
    It wouldn’t hurt to take both birds to an avian vet for a checkup to ensure there are no issues, particularly if you want to breed them.
    As to the feather picking...birds will groom/preen themselves and their mate to keep their feathers clean and in order.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (03-20-2019), Quakerella (03-13-2019)

Parrots

WhiteFace Pearl-Pied Female Cockatiel 'Princess' & Pied Male Cockatiel 'Charlie'.
    Thank you Dragon Lady! I thought it was just normal preening behavior. A check up isn't in the budget just yet, but I will get them there eventually. Lol. Do you think the dirty vents could possibly just be because they need to be bathed (in water) or to bathe themselves, though? As a note, this isn't my first rodeo. This is the second pair of Cockatiels I've owned. The First "Pair" were in fact 2 males. Lmao.
    Last edited by PrincessTiel X; 03-12-2019 at 02:07 AM.

NOTE: The Above Picture is of My Whiteface Pearl-Pied Female, Princess~ Getting her head scratched, but edited to look like another, Cartoon Tiel is scratching that itch for her, with his foot My handicap makes my fine motor skills poorer than most. I think it's kinda cute, regardless &&The Greenwing Macaw(s) in my Profile Picture is Merely a Dream of Mine! I don't own one

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    What happened to your first pair of birds?
    You really need to sort out your priorities. Make sure your birds are healthy before breeding them. Selling on potentially unwell birds is unethical.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Quakerella (03-13-2019), rivx (03-12-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    A dirty vent isn’t about bathing. It is usually health related, that’s why I feel that a vet should check them over. None of my birds have dirty vents. Not all of them are regular bathers either. We are just concerned about your birds.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-12-2019), rivx (03-12-2019)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    I'd definitely make sure a vet check is within the budget before breeding! Not only is a dirty vent an indication of health problems, but egg laying can be very hard on the mother, so you need to be well prepared for any complications she may have before and after breeding.

They sound like beautiful birds.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-13-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-12-2019), Mare (03-20-2019)

Parrots

I am still concerned about what happened to the two male birds, if they died of illness are the new birds in the same cage and was it deep cleaned before they moved in?
    We can only offer helpful advice if given honest answers, we won't hold any mistakes against you, its all a learning process and we are just interested in the best welfare of your current birds.

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-13-2019), Mare (03-20-2019), Quakerella (03-13-2019)

Parrots

Hi all, thank you for replying. @Casper's 2nd best friend ~ The two males were rehomed, as the Lutino had some sort of skin condition, and the other couldn't very well stay here without his buddy. We weren't in a position to treat him at that time. No worries though, the lady who took them is very bird savy, and treated the Lutino at her own vet, giving him regular supplements on the side. His feathers would come out in clumps and he had bald spots before we sold him to her. We sold him for no more than the price we paid:$50 Her neighbor now has his buddy. The last time I talked to her, Carol said she absolutely loved Lilly (name before it was confirmed that she was a he) And that she would even let Lilly come into the kitchen with her for breakfast every morning.
    @Dragonlady2 I know it's not always smart to try and self diagnose, but I'm suspecting vitamin B deficiency for Princess, my Female.
    Last edited by PrincessTiel X; 03-14-2019 at 02:41 AM.

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-14-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-14-2019), Mare (03-20-2019)

Parrots

Yay we are in favour of your birds being in the same room at meal times, they are flock feeders and you are their flock, as you probably know.
    But... if you eat in the kitchen and the bird is there while you are cooking make sure the pans are Teflon free.

16. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-14-2019)

Parrots

Oh I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about the males who were rehomed, they eat in the KITCHEN WITH THEIR NEW OWNER. My New Male and Female Pair stay in my bedroom at all times pretty much. They DON'T come into the kitchen. They are out of the cage for maybe 4 hours per day, and they get to play, but my female just sits on the open door and stares at me while my male plays and sings. He sings even when inside the cage, actually. He's a little character. We have 3 dogs so it would be to the birds' detriment to give them free reign. @Casper's 2nd best friend

EDIT & UPDATE: Their vents weren't even very dirty intially, just slightly -- but as of tonight, they appear completely clean! ~
    Last edited by PrincessTiel X; 03-15-2019 at 03:02 AM.

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-15-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-15-2019)