User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Parrots

"Agi" HH, "Bobby" BHP, "Buzzy" CAG, "Hubbard" RLA, "Iris" HYM, "KK" YNA, "Mickey" RFC (Roseifrons Conure), "Morgan" TAG, and “Sunny” B&G

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Hello. My name is Rocky and I live in Portland, Oregon with my wife and our flock of ten. I'm not a frequent poster, but happy to share my experiences with birds, and learn from your experiences.
    for photos please visit: http://pbase.com/fosofos/parrots

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-06-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-06-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hi and welcome to the forum! We would love to see some pics of your flock and how they came to be part of your flock.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-06-2019), rocky (03-08-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome
    Pictures, stories, trivia, daily news about your birds - we love it all. Please keep posting.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-06-2019), rocky (03-08-2019)

Parrots

"Agi" HH, "Bobby" BHP, "Buzzy" CAG, "Hubbard" RLA, "Iris" HYM, "KK" YNA, "Mickey" RFC (Roseifrons Conure), "Morgan" TAG, and “Sunny” B&G
    Thanks. After browsing around a bit, I think this forum is going to be interesting.

Your a dragon-peacock avatar is nicely done. Good to meet you and your flock.

Please check on the link my images at: http://pbase.com/fosofos/parrots
    Last edited by rocky; 03-06-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Parrots

Hello. Pleased to meet you and Casper. So, please explain what it means to be Casper’s 2nd best friend?

Our Romey, also a BFA whose gallery you can see at the link in my sig, we lost a year ago last fall. Hard to believe it was so long ago since the memories are so vivid. Her loss still hurts—but we had many fine years together.

Am at the Doc’s office so must go but will continue.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-07-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-07-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Casper decided that we were going to be his new guardians by choosing my wife Margaret as his new best friend. It took about six months before he realised that I wasn't nasty like the male in his previous home. Since that epiphany we have been getting on fine
    He came to us about six years ago* and was born the same year as Romey. Romey's was the first of your galleries that I checked and I was surprised how very similar they look. I can understand how you must be heartbroken at Romey's passing.
    My gallery of Casper's pics is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsdriv...57630576496804
    Good luck at the doctors !

Edit* That was when I first joined this forum for help and advice and have been giving and receiving help ever since
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 03-07-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-07-2019), rocky (03-08-2019)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Welcome Rocky.... Wonderful flock you've got there. It's of course sad that some of your feathered companions are now gone . By the way, how old is your CAG?
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-07-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-07-2019), rocky (03-08-2019)

Parrots

Your 2nd best friend explanation was one possibility I considered. The other was that Casper has two best friends--illogical I suppose. It just occurred to me that you could be the 2nd best friend that Capser has ever had--which does not make much sense considering the history. In any case thanks for clearing that ambiguity up.

I love the photos of Casper, and yes he does bear a strong resemblance to Romey, both in the markings and body posture. Great to see how Casper gets outside and takes part in what you do. What we need is an outdoor aviary, and maybe this summer we can begin that project.

Romey died of Liver Cancer, and our vet told us the condition is inoperable. We are grateful to have been with her at the end, holding her with a warm towel and she peacefully passed without suffering. The staff at the Avian Clinic were so generous letting us spend time in a room with her. It's really hard to think about. I will never forget the peaceful expression on her face. I was happy for her not having to endure any more pain. Life is so fragile.

As I'm writing this, Iris, is on my shoulder sticking her tongue in my ear, and it really tickles.

We have no children of the non-feathered variety, and in the past when we take vacations, we would have parrot-owner friends come over to the house several times daily to care for the birds. I don't like boarding birds. Our Avian Vet does not recommend boarding because of health risks--even though she does board birds which at first may seem like a contradiction; however, like so many matters in the care of birds, it's not so much black-and-white--but complicated, nuanced and with shades of gray--especially when discussing controversial topics like wing trims, rehome "fees", free-flying, and socializing your birds with other birds.

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-08-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-08-2019)

Parrots

Hi, Tony--

Thanks and good meeting you. An impressive group of Macaws you have along with Bozley your Nanday. I look forward to seeing pics of your flock. How is it that you came to be with birds?

Buzzy's hatch-date was in 2004, so sometime this year he turns 15. Buzzy and I hit it off right away. He is affectionate, clever, has many vocalizations: one from Buzz Lightyear I believe which I'll try to identify or record and make a link to to see if someone recognize where the sound comes from.

Are you thinking about a CAG? Buzzy was given to us, and for the life of me I cannot imagine how someone could part with such an adorable bird.

I'm guessing Buzzy was around teen-agers since he has a repertoire of body-cavity sounds: burping, belching, stomach gurgling noises and more. Our contact call is an owl imitation he learned living in the Columbia Gorge.

Nice signature!
    Last edited by rocky; 03-08-2019 at 05:47 AM.

17. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-08-2019)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Hi, Tony--

Thanks and good meeting you. An impressive group of Macaws you have along with Bozley your Nanday. I look forward to seeing pics of your flock. How is it that you came to be with birds?

Buzzy's hatch-date was in 2004, so sometime this year he turns 15. Buzzy and I hit it off right away. He is affectionate, clever, has many vocalizations: one from Buzz Lightyear I believe which I'll try to identify or record and make a link to to see if someone recognize where the sound comes from.

Are you thinking about a CAG? Buzzy was given to us, and for the life of me I cannot imagine how someone could part with such an adorable bird.

I'm guessing Buzzy was around teen-agers since he has a repertoire of body-cavity sounds: burping, belching, stomach gurgling noises and more. Our contact call is an owl imitation he learned living in the Columbia Gorge.

Nice signature!
    Hi Rocky... Long story, short... I used to have a CAG named Buzz. He was stolen from me by my ex and I never saw him again. Since I live near you, I alerted on your Buzzy's name. But my Buzz was separated from me in the mid 1990s... so he couldn't have been your Buzzy. Thanks for the reply
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

19. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-08-2019)