User Tag List

Thread: Re Homing Sun Conure in Arizona

Hybrid View

Parrots

Sun Conure

Re Homing Sun Conure in Arizona

Hi im new to this forum and do not want to be judged because I know there is a lot of judgment with people rehoming birds because they simply "dont have the time", etc. However that is not the case, I love my sun conure to death and cant even believe I have to think about rehoming him but I have developed a serious medical/allergy issue due to his dust/mites he has on his feathers. I have had him for almost 9 years and after months and months of me not feeling well, I went to the doctor and they told me I have developed a throat dysfunction from being exposed to his allergens. Im 19 years old and this bird has been my childhood pet. I cant imagine my life without him but it is not fair to keep him because I cant cuddle, sleep, be with him as much anymore because of the allergens. I simply cannot give him the love he has gotten in the past and deserves because it flares up my asthma/allergies. If anyone is interested in the phoenix or arizona area please let me know. I only want him to go to a home I know is a good fit. This breaks my heart to do this but it isnt even a choice, i cant keep him with my breathing/throat problems. If you or anyone you know would be interested please respond back, i want what is best for him. Thank you.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-06-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hi Kasey
    I am very sorry to hear about your medical condition and hopefully you will find a new loving home for your conure very soon. In the mean time do you have access to an air filter that you can set up in the bird's room? It might help your breathing.
    It would be a good idea to get one anyway because you need clean air even without a bird in the home.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-06-2019)

Parrots

Sun Conure
    Jean-Pierre,
    Thank you so much for your response, it means alot. Yes I have an air filter going on, it helps alot with the dust and feathers!

6. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-07-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    What about contacting a parrot shelter/rescue? Do your research and ensure that they have a thorough adoption process to ensure they find the right home for your bird. So sorry that you have to give him up. Any chance of a friend or family member that would take him?

8. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-07-2019)

Parrots

Sun Conure
    Helena,
    Thank you for your response! I appreciate it. Yes I have contacted parrot recuses in my area as well as vets. None of them have anyone specifically that would be interested but they said they would let me know when they did! I am going to interview whoever would be taking him and ensure it would be a good home once I find them. No family/friends would want him because I really am the only one who likes birds!! The rescues and vets are helping me find someone reliable.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-07-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-07-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We didn't know we needed a parrot in our lives until we were trying to find a new home for Casper because my mother had a stroke and was going into residential care.
    After him spending two weeks on a trial basis with two lots of people he made it very clear that he wanted Margaret as his Best Friend so we had to put aside our plans and rearrange our home and had a very scary time learning about birds and how some things can kill them but other than that how hardy they are. He was always cheerful when we uncovered him in the morning despite our worrying that he would be dead on the bottom of the cage.
    So... who do you think might make a good guardian for your Conure? Even though they don't know it yet! Try asking them if they will look after him for a couple of weeks to give you respite. They might find that having a bird is a wonderful thing but if they don't nothing has been lost or gained.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-07-2019)

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I can only imagine. I'm very interested in him. I live in TX but was planning to road trip for the right bird. AZ is well in the distance that I'm looking to travel. Can you tell me a bit about his personality? Like I said, I'm very interested. I have a large indoor cage and an 8ft outdoor enclosure as well. I would be a good bird-mom <3