User Tag List

Thread: How Do We Know If She's Sleeping?

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

How Do We Know If She's Sleeping?

Gracie had her first go in the sleep cage last night and while I saw her on the back perch for a while, she eventually moved to her water bowl and I'm not sure she slept. From what I can tell, she doesn't usually go to the bathroom overnight while she sleeps. Granted, she does like to go in one spot during the day so by the next morning it's often hard to tell. Last night she went a lot, and was still on the water bowl when I woke up -- hissing at me, mind you. She's cranky in the mornings.

Should I put her back in the sleep cage tonight and see what changes? Will she eventually sleep, or was she actually sleeping already? We were gone for a lot of the morning and afternoon so she had time to sleep then, and the same can be said for tomorrow, but the room is naturally bright and I'm not so sure she'll want to rest. Is this anything to worry about??

Thanks.

2. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-04-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Give her a couple of nights to get used to it. Does she have a favourite toy in her regular cage? Maybe she would like something familiar to sleep up against.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-04-2019), Quakerella (03-13-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Yes, keep going, they take a while to accept anything new but eventually love it.
    If all is quiet under the cover she is probably asleep. They tend to make it obvious if they are not happy, calling out or rattling the bars. Casper tends to cat-nap (or should that be parrot-nap) during the day so don't worry about her not getting enough sleep during the transition.
    If you are really curious as to what happens at night get one of those nest-box cams. I think you'll find that once she settles not a lot happens but she may change perches or have a midnight feast.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-04-2019), Quakerella (03-13-2019)