User Tag List

Thread: Budgie Advice Please?!

Parrots

Petrie, Ducky, & Rio the parakeets

Question Budgie Advice Please?!

Hello! Around 9 months ago my friend bred her parakeets and gave me the babies. All went well, until over a 1 month ago her female parakeet passes away, leaving just the male. She did not want to get another parakeet for the male, but she knew he could die of loneliness, so she gave him to me. Instantly, the male was excited to see new friends. So my two parakeets have been living with their cage up against their dads cage ). So, the advice I need, is if they should all live in a cage together, they are all boys (I read that girls are more territorial). I am uncertain that they will all get along, they fight when we get them all out of their cages together, but eventually when they all get tired they seem a little better but still fight. Also, I have read that you should not keep 3 parakeets together, since two could bond and leave the other out or harass him. Any advice or personal experiences will help! Thanks for your time

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum Jean. I would not place them all together in one cage. If they are fighting outside of the cage, they will fight more in the cage. I would also separate the cages. The one male will still be able to see and hear the others, but will be unable to bully them by being too close. The old adage “two’s company, three’s a crowd” fits here.

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-23-2019), Lady (02-27-2019), Quakerella (03-13-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome to PP.
    I am not familiar with parakeets so do not know if there are any 'rules' to keeping several birds in one cage if it is large enough that they all can have their own space. They seem to manage in the wild in huge flocks but maybe it is different in the confines of a house.
    Are the fights aggressive or are they just establishing a pecking order? They may sort out who is in charge out of the cages eventually at which point they may choose to all live in the same cage.
    I would leave the decision to them (with oversight to make sure all is cool).
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-24-2019), Lady (02-27-2019), Quakerella (03-13-2019)

Parrots

Petrie, Ducky, & Rio the parakeets
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Hello and welcome to PP.
    I am not familiar with parakeets so do not know if there are any 'rules' to keeping several birds in one cage if it is large enough that they all can have their own space. They seem to manage in the wild in huge flocks but maybe it is different in the confines of a house.
    Are the fights aggressive or are they just establishing a pecking order? They may sort out who is in charge out of the cages eventually at which point they may choose to all live in the same cage.
    I would leave the decision to them (with oversight to make sure all is cool).

I believe it is more of establishing a pecking order, it does not seem to be very violent towards each other

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-24-2019), Dragonlady2 (02-24-2019), Quakerella (03-13-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    If they are squabbling and not out right fighting, they may be able to get along in the same cage. What size is the cage they will all be in?

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-25-2019), Quakerella (03-13-2019)