User Tag List

Thread: Outdoor pet birds?

Smile Outdoor pet birds?

Hello, Me and my husband are doing some beginning research on the possibility of getting a pet bird. Is there any type of bird that does well outdoors? We were thinking of keep the cage on our screened porch. We live in northern florida so we don't deal with much cold weather, Winters are generally in the 50s, 60s, or even 70s. We would like to be able to let the bird come indoors to socialize, and also bring the cage in when the weather is too hot or too cold.
    Before I do too much research, just wanted to check in with some bird experts and see if this was something even good for a bird, or if there is a certain type I should look into getting. Thanks so much!

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-14-2019), Dragonlady2 (02-14-2019), Mare (03-08-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking the question in advance of getting a bird. If you think about it, most pet birds come from warmer climates. They fly together, eat together and sleep together for warmth. When we take them into our home, we become their”flock”. They are capable of having very loving relationships with us. In my opinion, the quality of their life is diminished if the are kept separate from us. They may revert to their wild state, but without a flock to be part of.
    Can I ask what interests you in having a parrot as a pet? This might help sort out the logistics of caring for one.

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-14-2019), Mare (03-08-2019), Quakerella (02-19-2019), rivx (02-16-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    As Helena has said, bird ownership takes commitment. They need company, they need entertainment, they need love. They are also sometimes expensive to buy, how secure is your porch from the opportunist thief?
    If you are getting the impression that we don't think it is a very good idea you could be right
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-14-2019), rivx (02-16-2019)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    Gracie screams for us every time we open the door to go outside. She also prefers to eat when her flock is around her, and if we go out, she makes sure she doesn't finish off her bowl until we get home. Birds really love being surrounded by their flock as much as possible, so if you can find a place in the house, that'd be great. We have my girl in the living room so she can see everything going on, and I think she'd definitely be sad anywhere else.
    Last edited by rivx; 02-16-2019 at 09:38 PM.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-16-2019), Dragonlady2 (02-17-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I take my cockatiels, quakers and IRN's outside in the summer. They are only out there when I am there, and NEVER left overnight. Not sure what types of animals are there that could prey upon a bird, but I now the raccoons here are able to open a bird cage with ease. I have a top deck that comes off the kitchen. It is in full sun and not covered so I cover half the cage with a towel to give them some shade area. I also have a thermometer on the deck and it is checked continuously. It is about 10 degrees hotter on the deck than it is on the grass. They love it outside, but it can be dangerous if the proper precautions are not taken.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-20-2019), Dragonlady2 (02-20-2019), Mare (03-08-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Well said Rosalyn, Casper also loves to be out in the garden but only if we are very close-by.

Yes, I like this! by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr

Hey, you down there, I'm up here! by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-20-2019), Mare (03-08-2019), Quakerella (02-20-2019), rivx (02-20-2019)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    My Umbrella Cockatoo, Shaggy, LOVES being outdoors but as most here have mentioned..they also love company or watching activities going on around him, while outside. When he is in his outdoor cage and no one is doing things around the yard..he begs to come in.

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-08-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-08-2019), Quakerella (03-13-2019)