User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleep cage suggestions?

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    Thanks all! I've only had the bare minimum time for one-on-ones with her for a few days now due to an ongoing family emergency, so today was my first day to get her used to it.

Unfortunately, I forgetfully left a balloon in the room and once she noticed it about an hour into being out (I lightly brushed against it, so it moved), she freaked and crashed into the wall. She's fine, and the terror was removed, but after she got her cuddles she went to the cage and refused to come back out, so I guess I'll start tomorrow. This may set us back a bit, but with time. Poor angel.

I'll update when I have some cute pictures of her actually with it, lol.

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-23-2019), Dragonlady2 (02-22-2019)

Parrots

We've made some progress...

She's much more comfortable on top of it, though. Doesn't much like it closed, but things are moving.

((Sorry for sort of spamming this thread, I just thought the pictures of her in it might be helpful to anyone interested. Hopefully I can get more once she starts liking it...meanwhile, she's just cute.))
    Last edited by rivx; 02-25-2019 at 03:53 AM.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-25-2019), Dragonlady2 (02-25-2019), Lady (02-27-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Yep, she scores well in the cute ratings
    Its good to hear that progress is being made with the cage. We sometimes have a problem getting Casper to settle down for the night, he likes routine and if we forget or are distracted from playing his night-night music we get a lot of muttering and bars rattling from under the cage cover.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-25-2019), Lady (02-27-2019)

Parrots

She gets grumpy if we don't cover her!! She's more comfortable in it today -- not enough that I'd want to leave her there overnight, but improvement.

I admit I am still nervous about it, though!! I'm overprotective a tad. She can get her beak out more -- image attached Worries aside, I don't think she'd actually try as she seems to know she can't get out of cages so easily and hasn't made attempts, but my anxiety flares at everything with her, lol. It's been improving as she spends time in there as she clearly doesn't like it but still hasn't tried anything, but you know me. Serial worrier. Just in case: what do you do in the case of an emergency where they do get caught? Do you just nudge them back?

Last edited by rivx; 02-26-2019 at 05:15 AM.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-26-2019), Dragonlady2 (02-26-2019), Lady (02-27-2019)

Parrots

Its always best to have an escape plan. In order to ease your mind and be prepared have a rummage in your kitchen for something that could be put between the bars and twisted to bend them apart. Preferably not something with a cutting edge

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-26-2019), rivx (02-27-2019)

Parrots

It's her first night in it tonight! She still wasn't very happy in it but due to her behavior I assumed she was just more angry about being in a little cage as opposed to scared of it at this point, as she loves hanging out on it and around it. So far she's been in bed a little over two hours and seems to have gone to sleep. I'll update with more pictures in the morning.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-03-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-03-2019)

Parrots

WhiteFace Pearl-Pied Female Cockatiel 'Princess' & Pied Male Cockatiel 'Charlie'.
    Is a sleep cage really necessary? I didn't know that was even a thing. lol. Asking purely out of curousity. My pair sleep just fine in their single cage as soon as we cover it with the dark blue blanket. xX
    Hold Fast to Dreams, For if Dreams Die, Life is a Bird That Cannot Fly~

NOTE: The Above Picture is of My Whiteface Pearl-Pied Female, Princess~ Getting her head scratched, but edited to look like another, Cartoon Tiel is scratching that itch for her, with his foot My handicap makes my fine motor skills poorer than most. I think it's kinda cute, regardless &&The Greenwing Macaw(s) in my Profile Picture is Merely a Dream of Mine! I don't own one

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-14-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-14-2019)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessTiel X View Post
    Is a sleep cage really necessary? I didn't know that was even a thing. lol. Asking purely out of curousity. My pair sleep just fine in their single cage as soon as we cover it with the dark blue blanket. xX
    More of a luxury than a necessity
    Only needed if you need to sleep elsewhere from his day cage.

16. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-14-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Parrots need uninterrupted sleep at night. If they are in the livingroom, the lights are usually on,tv is on, people talking etc. Parrots are not really able to “sleep” through this. A sleep cage allows for a regular routine and ensures consistent sleep hours. This can be important to control egg laying females from laying excessively.

18. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-14-2019)

Parrots

Yep. Gracie used to sleep in the living room, but we wanted her to get more sleep so she wouldn't feel so interested in laying.

Although, I'm still not sure if my bedroom is the best place for it as it's small and I tend to roll in my sleep. I worry that shuffling combined with me waking up for a drink and such may bother her. With that said, the living room is talking and TV until midnight or later and then commotion early in the mornings so it's better than it was. I'm hoping when I move I'll have a bigger space to she can have a little more privacy. Until then, it'll have to do. I do think it was necessary for her. Maybe not for all birds, though -- it depends on how noisy your family is, lol.

20. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-14-2019)