User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleep cage suggestions?

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    Edit: Here's a picture of her current bar spacing. I thought it was closer to 5/8 but it may be 3/4 using that method. I always doubt myself with rulers, lol. I just fear she'd get caught in something larger, she's not the biggest I've seen, but then again the difference is so small I imagine it'd be fine.

Last edited by rivx; 02-15-2019 at 12:37 AM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    She should be fine with that measurement.

3. The following user likes this post:

rivx (02-16-2019)

Parrots

Our bird store had one set up when we went to get more food today and I definitely feel more comfortable getting it now. If there's any difference in the spacing between this and what she has, I couldn't tell from looking at it!

Last question, I promise, but some reviews on Amazon show a larger gap between the door and the cage, did you have that issue? I didn't notice it on the one I saw in person today, so I'm guessing it's just an occasional flaw you send back for?

Thanks for the suggestions! I have a feeling she'll be happy with either of the travel cages prevue has, both look nice. I'm aiming for the lighter one, though, easy to travel with.
    Last edited by rivx; 02-16-2019 at 02:49 AM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I didn’t notice a bigger gap. However I had one cage where the door didn’t quite meet the cage when closed leaving a gap at the bottom. I used a twist tie for the trip, but I would have rigged up a metal hook if I was using it regularly.
    Questions are always welcome here

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-16-2019), Lady (02-27-2019), rivx (02-16-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    My cockatiels cage has a bar spacing of 3/4" and I have never had an issue.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-20-2019), Dragonlady2 (02-20-2019), rivx (02-20-2019)

Parrots

Fantastic. We went ahead and got it set up for her. Now just to get her adjusted to it!

I would have added another toy or two but decided since cockatiels are known for their night frights, I'd best give her room. I figured it's just for sleeping anyways, but would you add anything else? We've never had a night fright with her, but I'm terrified of them, lol. Glad to have her in my room so I'll be right there.
    Last edited by rivx; 02-20-2019 at 10:15 PM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

It looks great. When she sleeps in the big cage does she sleep by something? Most of my birds sleep beside, on or under something soft. There are little snuggles that you can attach to the bars and the birds lean up against them. She shouldn’t need any more toys. Will you be covering this cage while she is sleeping?

11. The following user likes this post:

rivx (02-21-2019)

Parrots

Nope, she just sleeps on her high perch by the wall. I don't want something too nesty, though I reckon a snuggle by the wall wouldn't bother her hormones. We do cover the cage, though not completely, so as to let some light from the nightlight in. We cover three sides.

Reminds me, do you have any tips for introducing her to it? I was thinking about letting her hang out in it for a few hours a day for a couple of days before putting her there overnight, not sure if that's all to be done.
    Last edited by rivx; 02-21-2019 at 03:12 AM.

13. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-21-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Put treats in the food bowl inside and let her find them from outside.
    When the bird cage is covered for the night do not approach the cage without talking to her so that she will know who it is and will not be flustered when you suddenly lift the cover.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-21-2019), Lady (02-27-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Letting her see it and explore it will help her getting used to it. Good idea with putting treats in the bowl for her to find.

17. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-23-2019), rivx (02-21-2019)