User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sleep cage suggestions?

Parrots

WhiteFace Pearl-Pied Female Cockatiel 'Princess' & Pied Male Cockatiel 'Charlie'.
    I Agree with Jean though. My birds are housed in my bedroom and I do have a little 13 inch TV in there close to my bed, but it's not always on. The 2 Tiels I have seem to sleep fine when covered with the blanket. Charlie will be singing up a storm, and within like 90 seconds of covering the cage, he stops completely. It works for me, anyway. I don't see myself buying a sleep cage anytime in the future.
    Hold Fast to Dreams, For if Dreams Die, Life is a Bird That Cannot Fly~

NOTE: The Above Picture is of My Whiteface Pearl-Pied Female, Princess~ Getting her head scratched, but edited to look like another, Cartoon Tiel is scratching that itch for her, with his foot My handicap makes my fine motor skills poorer than most. I think it's kinda cute, regardless &&The Greenwing Macaw(s) in my Profile Picture is Merely a Dream of Mine! I don't own one

2. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-15-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Do you have headphones for the bedroom TV?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-15-2019)

Parrots

WhiteFace Pearl-Pied Female Cockatiel 'Princess' & Pied Male Cockatiel 'Charlie'.
    I guess I should get some. Lol. I don't even know if there's an outlet on the TV that headphones could plug into. I've never tried it.
    Last edited by PrincessTiel X; 03-18-2019 at 10:08 PM.

NOTE: The Above Picture is of My Whiteface Pearl-Pied Female, Princess~ Getting her head scratched, but edited to look like another, Cartoon Tiel is scratching that itch for her, with his foot My handicap makes my fine motor skills poorer than most. I think it's kinda cute, regardless &&The Greenwing Macaw(s) in my Profile Picture is Merely a Dream of Mine! I don't own one

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-19-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-18-2019)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    One extra unexpected benefit with the sleep cage: Gracie steps up very good at least once a day now. I couldn't teach her to do it usually for the life of me, so that's been a perk. At least I know she knows for sure what 'step up' means...she's just stubborn.

The grate is a pain to clean though. I'm adjusted to removable ones. Anyone got any tips?

Unrelated to the cage, but she's started shaking her head and nodding when you ask her a question which I'm amazed by. I thought I was seeing things but it's been pretty consistent these past few weeks, lol.
    Last edited by rivx; 03-18-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I put newspaper over my grates. Great news on how her training is coming. You are doing a wonderful job with her.

Parrots

@rivx ~ Regarding Gracie's Head Shaking - Is it one swift, super quick motion back and forth, as though she has something lodged in her ear? This is common, I have recently learned. No one really knows why they do it for sure, but with my Charlie I think it only happens when I speak to him in a high pitched tone. That most likely bothers his ears someway. Someone said maybe it's a resonance thing. That's my guess.

10. The following user likes this post:

rivx (03-22-2019)

Parrots

Is it nod for yes and shake for no? Casper sometimes nods slowly but whether he agrees with us entirely is another matter

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-21-2019), rivx (03-22-2019)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    When she adjusts her feathers she also shakes her head but this looks a bit different, lol. Yep, it's nod for yes shake for no. She seems to use both appropriately! I'm not sure if she always agrees either, but it's very well timed with our questions. I always shake and nod when I ask questions of her so I reckon she just picked it up that it's something to do when the pitch changes like that. Cute regardless, though.
    Last edited by rivx; 03-22-2019 at 03:35 AM.

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-22-2019), Dragonlady2 (03-22-2019)

Parrots

Ah, I get it, she sees you nodding as you say "you do want to go back to your cage, don't you?" and shaking your head from side to side when you say "you are not going to bite me that hard again are you?"

They are intelligent creatures and positive and negative must be easy for them to understand. Much more clever than me, they can understand what we are saying and reply in our language but I have no idea what Casper is saying when he shrieks to the world in the morning.

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-22-2019), rivx (03-22-2019)