User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleep cage suggestions?

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Sleep cage suggestions?

We've been looking on craigslist with no luck so far, so I'll likely be better off ordering online. This will just be for a little 'tiel to sleep in, so it doesn't have to be very large, just safe. Any ideas?

We plan to only put a perch in it (probably a natural rope, like sisal or something similar), a toy, food and water. Let me know if there's anything else they need in their sleep cages!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    A travel cage could serve two purposes

Casper sleeps in his travel cage when we take him to stay on our sailboat.

Room Service by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr

Note the cozy for him to snuggle up against
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 02-12-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-12-2019), Quakerella (02-19-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Yes, a travel cage will serve two purposes...sleeping and trips.

5. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (02-19-2019)

Parrots

Good idea! Is there any you'd recommend for a bird her size?

Parrots

Our criticisms of Casper's travel cage:
    It is over-built and very heavy despite being made of aluminium.
    But the sliding catches holding the food tray doors shut vibrate open in the car as they've not got a locking device (we use a bit of sticky tape). I wonder how many birds escape in aircraft holds because owners are not aware of the problem?
    It cost more to buy than his big cage at home.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 02-13-2019 at 09:47 AM.

8. The following user likes this post:

Lady (02-13-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Look up Prevue Hendryx travel bird cage and you will see a variety of different cages. Definitely get one with bars, not acrylic. I have two or three different ones. The lightest one is a white rectangular cage with feeding dishes and a perch. It has enough room that a bird is not confined to one spot and there is room for a toy.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (02-13-2019), rivx (02-14-2019)

Parrots

Thanks! The white prevue one looks very nice, I'll probably aim for that one! It's a bit too wide for my shelf but I can get another, I need more storage anyways.

Is the bar space truly 3/4", though? Our little chicken has a prevue cage for day time as well, and though it says 3/4" online the true spacing between the bars (rather than including the bars) is 5/8", which has been fine for her. I saw some comments saying it's the same for this one but thought I'd ask. I wouldn't want to push it and I've heard 3/4" may be too large.
    Last edited by rivx; 02-14-2019 at 04:55 AM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

I will try and dig out my cage and measure the bar width after I run my errands. I think I had my plumhead in one when we moved and he is smaller than a cockatiel.

Parrots

The specification of bar spacing is usually between the centres of the bar diameters so subtract one bar diameter (because two halves).

14. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-14-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

So using casper’s best friend measurement, the bar spacing on the white travel cage is 3/4 of an inch.I think Gracie should be fine in one of those.