User Tag List

Thread: Thoughts on this kit?

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Thoughts on this kit?

I'm looking into growing microgreens for Gracie and I was considering a salad mix that has broccoli, kale, kohlrabi, arugula, and cabbage. I've read cabbage can inhibit calcium absorption more than other things and obviously with her situation recently I want to make sure that's balanced out. She has her usual mix as well (currently bell peppers with seeds, bok choy, carrots, peas, green beans, broccoli, some corn, collard greens, chia seeds and quinoa) which she is nibbling at more and more these days so it won't be the only veg. Does that sound balanced enough or should we go with a mix with no cabbage?

Here's the link if anyone's interested. https://www.trueleafmarket.com/colle...nt=40547504328

Thanks.

EDIT: I asked elsewhere and was told microgreens have less oxalic acid than adult greens, so should it be fine then?
    Last edited by rivx; 02-10-2019 at 02:42 AM.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-10-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Yes, you should be fine. If you go with the microgreens just cut out the collard greens as they can be problematic.

4. The following user likes this post:

rivx (02-10-2019)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    Thanks! I'll be making my own version of this rather than actually ordering it, so I can count them out in favor of something else should I ever need to anyways.

I'll stop feeding the collard greens. Is there a list of leafy greens that are better for regular feeding?
    Last edited by rivx; 02-10-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Romaine lettuce and kale are good choices. The benefits of the kale outweigh the negatives regarding the blocking of calcium absorption which is not as great as other greens. I will be interested to see how your microgreens turn out.

7. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (02-19-2019)