User Tag List

Thread: Conure Beaking Me

Threaded View

Conure Beaking Me

Hey guys,

After months of research my family and I decided to adopt a GCC and yesterday we brought a 2 year old male named Sam into our home. His old owner fed him a seed mix and had him in a small cage with only dowl perches and a happy hut and didn’t take him out very often. He is currently in a large flight cage without the happy hut and I’m transitioning his food over to a higher quality seed mix without peanuts/sunflowers seeds and have some Rowdybush pellets coming (they were back ordered and the shipment was delayed). He is very friendly and doesn’t mind being handled but I’ve noticed he likes to beak my hand and fingers and I’m not sure if this behavior is something I can curb or just normal. He will preen my fingers and hands and then wrap his beak around my fingers and clamp down. It isn’t painful but is uncomfortable and so far I haven’t been reacting because I don’t want to scare him and cause him to bite. Am I taking things too fast? Should I let him settle in for a few days before handling him? I’ve read mixed suggestions about how to properly bring a new bird home. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you❤️

2. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-30-2019)