User Tag List

Thread: Should their weight change in AM-PM?

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Should their weight change in AM-PM?

She was 84 grams at her vet appointment ten days ago, which took place at 10AM. I finally managed to weigh her tonight (about 7:30 PM) and she was about 85 grams (maybe a little bit more...she was trying to fly off the scale), should I expect a more drastic change? I know they have a fast metabolism, and she had just pooped, I just expected more weight at night for some reason. Does this seem normal?

2. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-14-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Sounds normal to me. It’s not like dogs or cats that only poop a couple of times a day...birds poop all day. So I would assume the weight should remain consistent. Now, I have a Sennie that I am sure weighs more in the morning because he fires off a poop bomb that is humongous considering how small he is.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-14-2019), rivx (01-14-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We always try and weigh Casper post first poop on a Friday morning just for consistency. He probably only poops 1 or 2 grams anyway so not a large proportion of his total weight at <0.5%.
    I will try and remember to weigh him next Friday evening as well just out of curiosity. But he does have a late night snack after he is shut in his cage for the night so it might not reveal much
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-14-2019), rivx (01-14-2019)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    Weighed her again tonight and she is 89G. Does that sound like a normal gain or could it be a sign of an egg?

Side note, we couldn't get the box to weigh because our scale is so little, so we've taken to just having her step up several times. She flies away before she gets on the scale usually, but eventually she decides to stand there and get it over with, lol. It's a good exercise, I think.

8. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-26-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    If she is acting normal re: eating and pooping, she is probably just getting back to normal.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    You can only really tell by weighing at the same time of the day which is why I suggested weighing in the morning before they eat and after 1st poop as they have had all night to digest. Once you have built up a record over a period you will recognise any differences from normal.
    We used to give Casper a treat to eat so he would stay on the scales long enough to get a reading. Once he was used to the routine we gave him the treat after returning him to his day perch.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

11. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-26-2019), Lady (02-06-2019), rivx (01-26-2019)