User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprouting

Hybrid View

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Sprouting

Hi again,

I want to start sprouting seeds for Gracie, but I have a few questions first: I've heard ACV is a part of the process, but never how it's used. What's it for?
    Can we use her normal seed mix for the sprouts?

Any other tips / links are appreciated!

Also, just a vent about her diet, I may or may not be stressing over it. I've read about calcium overdose a lot and I'm really worried about it. I know her vet told us calcium on the food daily (and she's definitely not eating all of it or her veggies anyway) but it can be a bit stressful when you realize all the research you've done no longer applies to your bird! It's like relearning their care all over again. There's probably tons of owners out there who's birds also have more individual nutrition requirements, but I haven't met one yet, so it's been strange.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I sprout and give them to my birds daily. The acv is used when rinsing the sprouts to kill any bacteria, mold etc. Definitely use a good quality seed for sprouting. I get mine from MUM’s here in Canada. They sell organic seeds specifically meant for sprouting.
    I think that your vet is being cautious regarding the calcium for Gracie. I don’t think cockatiels have a specific breeding period, so Gracie could lay an egg any time. He is probably just making sure that she doesn’t have any more issues with laying eggs. You could possibly ask your vet about giving it to her every other day after you discuss your concerns with him.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (01-10-2019), rivx (01-10-2019)

Parrots

Thanks!!

Does this seem like the right way to do it? I'm looking forward to offering them, especially since she's just a smidge more curious about new food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yxIHPPtzSU

She is still nesting on her eggs...or trying too, I guess. in the mornings and evenings she pushes them under her and tries sitting on them. She moves around a bit trying to get comfy and once she is, she sits there for a minute and then goes to go eat instead.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Yes, the video is showing you a pretty foolproof way to do it.
    Good luck with this. I’ll be interested in seeing the results.

Parrots

None of the health stores near me had a specific sprouting mix, but I did get some organic tricolor quinoa to try! I've heard it sprouts fast. They had some other seeds too, so if she likes it, I'll get some more.

Just realized the video doesn't use ACV though, so I thought I'd ask -- how much ACV do you use when rinsing? Any specific measurement? Thanks.
    Last edited by rivx; 01-24-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

I don’t use any acv when sprouting. I just make sure that I rinse really well and drain really well. I sprout in a jar so I shake the sprouts in fresh rinse water and drain using a mesh lid. I will turn the jar regularly to ensure that the seeds don’t stick together. So far, knock on wood, I haven’t had any issues. The key is to have the seeds damp, not wet, after each rinse.

8. The following user likes this post:

rivx (01-25-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	430CAEC8-A2D2-41EE-AAF1-70F86293C03F.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	5281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1AE7B2FD-9371-43AA-8EB6-9A4AF12B89BF.jpg 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	5282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8311312E-E487-4027-98C2-D4280FC023EB.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	5283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DA74C069-A9BC-4002-B9D9-FA8E8F202131.jpg 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	5284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2AF121E5-4B26-4817-AB89-30393D6A5F0B.jpg 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	5285The seeds in the jar with the green lid are ready to give to my bigger birds. The jar with the white lid was started yesterday. Note how they are loosely laying in the jar and not wet or clumped.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-27-2019), Lady (02-06-2019)

Parrots

Thanks!! I haven't started yet (didn't have all the materials) but will be starting tomorrow. I looked into it and decided I'll use ACV for the last rinse and/or a few drops during the soak...just to be careful, we all know I'm a worrier by now, lol.

I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully she likes them, but we'll see.
    Last edited by rivx; 01-26-2019 at 12:54 AM.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-27-2019), Lady (02-06-2019)

Parrots

Quinoa sprouts faster than I expected! There are already little tails on several. I wonder how it'll end up looking over night -- I imagine I'll be able to feed them tomorrow. Should I wait until it hits the 24 hour mark or will it be okay before then?

Super Moderator

Parrots

If they are already sprouting, you should be able to feed them to her.