User Tag List

Thread: Meet My Pets!

Parrots

I have two doves, Fluffy and Tuffy. A Budgie named Frost and a Cockatiel, Candy. I also own a duck as pet, her name's Fly.

Meet My Pets!

Hi! I am new to this bird community, I just joined it, so I'm not so sure how to use it. I thought I'd write an introduction post about me and my pet birds. I currently have five pets, all of them are birds. I have two doves, a budgie and a Cockatiel (I know both of these birds shouldn't be kept alone, though my budgie is very good friends with my cockatiel and I give both of them a lot of attention), I also have a duck as pet, (yes again, I know ducks shouldn't be kept alone, but it's a long story and my duck is very happy.). My doves are Fluffy and Tuffy, Tuffy's a Ringneck Dove and Fluffy's a Laughing Dove. My Cockatiel's name is Candy, he's a lutino Cockatiel. My budgie's name is Frost, he's a sky blue budgie. My duck's name is Fly, an albino duck. My oldest pets are Fluffy and Fly, their both 1 and a half year old. So the reason why I joined this community is because I have a quick question about my budgie Frost.

He is a 6 months old male budgie. I got him from a pet store because there aren't any good breeders around here. I've had him for about 4-5 months. I've been working really hard on taming him. When I first had him he was extremely scared of me and everyone else. At first I didn't really interacted with him for the first few days until he got used to me. After a week, I'd sit somewhere close to his cage quietly. Since he was bought from a pet store he was really scared of humans. After a few more weeks of this he finally got used to me sitting near his cage. Slowly I'd start sitting more closer to him and talking to him in a soft voice. He was first scared but soon got used to it. After some more weeks of doing this when he'd normally talk and play around me, I started placed my hand near his cage. Though I still didn't got my hand inside his cage or anything. He surprisingly got used to that very quickly, in almost a week or else. In some more days I slowly started placing my hand in his cage. He at first was pretty scared, but in two or three weeks he got used to my hand in his cage too. Then I decided to feed him treats from my hand. He accepted soon and ate a little from my hand. In some more days he quickly started eating from my hand. I fed him treats like this for a long time. Then one day I simply showed him my finger as a perch. He looked at my finger and investigated it for treats. But then suddenly he jumped up and actually sat on my finger. In some more days he got so used to my hand that he would even play around on my finger and sing on it. He now always comes to my finger whenever I show him it in his cage. He plays and sings too!

The only problem is I'm not sure how to take him out of his cage now. I'm just worried how will I get him back inside. I already have a bird safe area in my room where I let my doves out and my family doesn't own any cats or other pets so it's not really a problem. Frost's wings aren't clipped and I'm not really planning to. His cage is very big though I still do want to take him out of his cage like I do with my doves. So any ideas on how do I first let my budgie out of his cage? Frost is pretty good tamed now, he doesn't bites me either. I hope you have some ideas, thank you!

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-14-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and Welcome.
    You do seem to be getting on well with the training without our help
    As Frosty will step up onto your finger for treats I would say let him out of the cage when he is hungry this will give you more chance of him coming back to you. If that fails just leave the cage open with his food inside - he will have to go back in to eat eventually.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-14-2019), Lady (01-23-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum. Great job with the training. Try to identify a favourite treat that your budgie likes and save it for when you let him out of the cage. When you want him to go back into the cage, show him the treat and let him see you putting it in the food cup. You may have to do this a few times until he connects the process. My birds love nutriberries and when I go to the nutriberry bucket, they scramble for their cages.
    I also have a large butterfly net. Every now and again, one the birds decides it is going to be a stinker that day and I use the butterfly net to swoop it up and get it back that way. They are very forgiving when they see that nutriberry coming...lol.
    Love your pets names.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-14-2019), Lady (01-23-2019)