User Tag List

Thread: Plain Greek Yogurt?

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Plain Greek Yogurt?

When one of my mice was on antibiotics, I gave her plain greek yogurt every so often to help with the gut and all that.

Would it be safe for Gracie to have some too? She always wants to try it when I have it, so I figured I'd ask just in case it's beneficial -- I know antibiotics can mess with you for a bit after.
    Last edited by rivx; 01-07-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Parrots

Though I suppose I could also just buy a probiotic made for avians, lol. I just like to give something after (even when I take them), but it kind of slipped my mind with Gacy. Any ideas?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    A little yogurt won’t hurt her, but I wouldn’t give it to her daily. Avian probiotics would probably be better for her.

4. The following user likes this post:

rivx (01-07-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Casper considers it a special treat so mixing his meds with yogurt is handy.
    He hasn't needed drugs for a while now which is very satisfying. He still gets a bit of yogurt in a teaspoon every now and then.The spoon gets held in one foot and when the bowl is empty, turned over and over till it is all licked clean. It then gets thrown as far as he can if he is up on his balcony or dropped down the bars of the cage with a satisfying clatter if he is inside.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-07-2019), rivx (01-07-2019)

Parrots

Great! Are there any specific brands or would any probiotic for avians be good?

Parrots

She is also going back on Baytril for about a week because the wet feces are still happening, some days more than others.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Your vet can recommend a brand of probiotics for Gracie. He probably can advise on how long she should take them as well.
    Hopefully the Baytril will take care of lingering issues.
    Is she back to her old self?

Parrots

I can't say her personality changed a ton the first time (I hope I would have noticed, at least) but yep! She's clearing out her bowl, leaving only the banana shapes behind...typical Gracie.

I also put her chop in a blender and she ate the bit I offered her. I'll give her a full serving tomorrow -- but this is great news, she's usually very picky. I'm hoping I can sneak some of her medicine into it but if not, I can add some to the egg before I scramble it so maybe I'll feel less bad about her getting it so often for the next week.

We're switching from a Tums a day to calcium to scraping cuttlebone onto her dish. Tums are great for a boost after egg issues, but cuttlebone/egg shells are looking like the better choice for long-term. Both were recommended. The vet did say she will need calcium on her food every day from here on out, though. I'm fine with any extra needs she has, as long as she's happy and healthy.

EDIT: Also, she's 84 grams!! Well, in the AM, anyways. She's just a bit on the small side from what I've read, I suppose, because the vet said her keel looks great. I thought it was a cute little fact. I'll start weighing her weekly or at least, bi-weekly too. Maybe I'll see the eggs coming then.
    Last edited by rivx; 01-08-2019 at 11:28 PM.

11. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-09-2019), Dragonlady2 (01-09-2019), Lady (01-10-2019)