User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie joined in

Newbie joined in

Hey guys. Just checked in here. Purposely join this forum to learn more about parrots and considering to have one if all the condition meet my lifestyle. Actually I have a cat at home, so actually cat is almost easy to care and not heavy maintenance. Then I decide to have a parrot as a second pet. Due to my lifestyle or got a day job 8 to 5 and only free at the weekend, so maybe less time to be with a new pet. So I need to consider a lot things. Thank you for having me here.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the the forum! Thank you for taking the time you need to make a decision about getting a parrot. Ask any questions you have and we will try to help you.
    One thing we promote here is that there should not be any co-mingling between predators like cats and prey animals like parrots. We have seen so many accidents resulting in the death of the parrot that we think it’s important to inform as much as we can about the dangers regarding this. Would you be able to keep your cat and the parrot separate? Have you any idea about what kind of parrot you are interested in?

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (02-13-2019), PlaxMacaws (01-06-2019), Quakerella (02-19-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome.
    Things to consider when bringing a parrot into a home where you are out all day:

Are you a morning person? You will have to be up earlier to clean out the cage and prepare your bird's food for the day.
    The cat and the bird will have to be in separate parts of your home whilst you are out.
    Parrots need clean air, so no smoking and consider getting an air purifier. It doesn't need to be an expensive one with all the 'bells and whistles' because you will not be using the ioniser/ultra-violet part. And remember to vacuum the filter once a month.
    Can you leave a radio on whilst you are out to give the bird some company?
    You will need to replace toys regularly so the bird does not get bored.
    If you are thinking about parrotlets or other small birds consider getting a non-breeding pair so they can keep each other company.
    Do you know of an avian vet within easy reach as you are bound to need them sooner or later (and allow for that in your budgeting).
    Have you considered getting a bird from a rescue centre - there are lots of birds that need new loving homes. The people at the rescue centre should also be able to give you good advice and may want to see your home (this is a good thing).
    In the evening when you are trying to type messages, it is more difficult with a parrot sitting on your wrist biting your fingers because it thinks you should be giving it attention
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-07-2019), Lady (02-13-2019), PlaxMacaws (01-11-2019), Quakerella (02-19-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Welcome to P.P.

You are so right, there is much to consider when bringing home a new family member, especially a bird. Time to spend with them is one of the most important things to consider after all there isn't much to do in a cage when your alone all day long.

The products you use at home when cooking or cleaning, the placing of their cage and many other things are important too. Being a guardian is quite time consuming but it sure pays off when things go right.

7. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-10-2019), Dragonlady2 (01-10-2019), PlaxMacaws (01-11-2019), Quakerella (02-19-2019)

Thank you, guys. For all the tips and consideration. Yes, I know the pros and cons by having 2 different kinds of creatures living in the same roof. I heard many cases, the cats sooner or later still have predator instinct just like their ancestors. Only time will tell whether the cat will react. But I also see a cat person can deal with the parrot, all in all. I don't make any final decision yet. I'll take all the advice carefully and see the situation in details.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-10-2019), Dragonlady2 (02-10-2019)

Parrots

When and if you do get a bird please post some pictures, we love pictures

11. The following 4 users like this post:

allyfowly (02-17-2019), Dragonlady2 (02-10-2019), Lady (02-13-2019), Quakerella (02-19-2019)

Yes, I definitely post the picture. At the moment, I play around and talking with my cousin's parrot. Amazingly after more than 15 years, I guess, she still looks active and talking.

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-17-2019), Dragonlady2 (02-17-2019), Quakerella (02-19-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    What kind of parrot does your cousin have?

15. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-17-2019)

Parrots

It depends on the type of parrot, some, like Casper who is a Blue Fronted Amazon could live to age fifty or over. He is currently 31 years old. A thing my mother failed to take into consideration when she decided she wanted a parrot because her friend had one.

I forget to ask my cousin, next time I visit her I'll ask the detail, the one thing I remember my cousin found her at the backyard 15 years ago, the parrot looks like got out from somewhere, after making some effort to advertise and no one is claiming the parrot then my cousin kept her for a long time till today. I think the parrot is common species.. gray color.

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-25-2019), Dragonlady2 (02-25-2019)