User Tag List

Thread: Spot on tongue - very concerned

Parrots

Cockatiel

Spot on tongue - very concerned

Tonight I was putting my boy Boo to bed and I noticed that he has a pretty noticeable spot on his tongue. The spot looked a dull greyish-white color (reminded me of a wart) and I immediately was concerned. I went to Google of course (I only really have Google and here for advice and concerns). And the only thing I could really find is candida/yeast infection and/or a vitamin A deficiency. From the symptoms it doesn't seem like a candida/yeast issue, but it very well could be a vitamin A deficiency. Boo is on a seed only diet with occasional fruits and veggies. We tried switching him back in the spring time to pellets but after almost 9 years on seeds, he is very reluctant to do the pellets. He just ended up starving himself and not much changed after that. Fast forward to now and I see this... I cannot help but feel guilty and stupid. The vet told us that it would be hard to switch his diet this late in life and boy was she right... I wish we would have just started him off with pellets but I was only a kid back then and I was going off of what others had told me which was that seeds were all that he needed, plus some occasional fruit/veggie treats. Now I am at a loss for what to do. Due to some unexpected tragic circumstances in my personal life, I don't have the money right now to take him to the vet, let alone get him any medicines if need be... I am so stressed due to said personal issues and this is just another thing to throw on top of the pile. Is there anyway to switch him without him starving himself?! I just don't want him to die... I love him more than any other animal in the world. He is my baby and I cannot lose him!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Oh dear, just typed out a lot of stuff and pressed the wrong button which disappeared it
    I'll try and remember what I wrote
    Have you tried sprinkling multi-vitamin powder over the food in his bowl?
    We get ours from the vets, they sell a range of stuff. Whilst there you could also get Boo a check-up, it never hurts to have an expert opinion.
    That came out shorter than before! Presses button with fingers crossed
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-03-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Try grinding up some pellets until it is really fine...almost powder-like. Get a plastic ziplock bag or plastic container and put in 2 cups of seed, add approximately 1/2 tsp of vegetable oil and shake vigorously until the seeds are mixed with oil. You don’t want the seeds greasy. Now add about 2 tablespoons of the ground pellets and shake again. What you want is for the pellets to stick to the seeds. If your bird takes to the mixture, try adding more pellet each time. You can also take the ground pellet and put some in a dish to see if the bird will eat it that way. Don’t take away the seeds for now. If you get the fruit flavoured pellet, it may take to it better than unflavoured.
    As well, most birds like sweet potatoes. Try cooking some up and mash it well....add some cinnamon for flavour. Keep trying some fresh food every day. Even fruit has important vitamins.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-03-2019), Lady (01-10-2019)