User Tag List

Thread: Question about diet

Question about diet

I have two budgies that I got a couple of weeks ago and they don't want to eat anything other than seeds. I was wondering if I could buy some sort of treat or something similar to see if I could get them to eat something other than seed. Is this a good idea or do I need to do something else?

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-01-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum It’s hard to switch seedeaters to different food. Try weaving a lettuce leaf in the bars by a perch. Add some pomegranate seeds to their regular seeds to see if they will try them. You can chop some kale and berries or apple very fine and try adding their seed to it. The seeds will stick to some of the fresh food and they may get a taste that way. They may be confused and resist this initially, but keep trying. One thing all of my birds like is cooked, mashed sweet potato and cinnamon. Even my canaries will eat this. Good luck with this. Let us know how it goes.

4. The following user likes this post:

Lady (01-10-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Welcome to the forum
    Casper was a sunflower junky when he came to live with us and we were surprised that he took to Harrisons complete diet so quickly. Checking the ingredients we found it did have sunflower as part of its ingredients so that is probably why. He was quite happy with a separate bowl of fresh fruit and veg in his cage... well, the fruit part anyway. The veg gets lobbed out. He likes the sweet stuff. As Dragonlady says, they love sweet potato either roasted or mashed. In fact Casper only really eats his veggies when they are cooked - carrots, spinnach, parsnip etc - he just has a bit of what we are having as long as it has no garlic or avacado.
    If we are not sure about something new we just google "is xxx safe for parrots". You could change that to "for budgies or parrotlets" for a more specific answer.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-01-2019), Lady (01-10-2019)

I think you really don't need to change this way.
    Actually, now there are quite a lot of nuts with different flavors. You will not have to worry about your bird lacking nutrients and missing new flavors.
    What I think is really remarkable here is how your bird likes seeds. We provide it, and it can be more healthy and happy because the seed will also have a lot of nutrients that will maintain the state of health and stability, see the reaction from your bird.
    I also know some places with very good seeds and good quality. You can refer to at:

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Just to follow up...a strictly seed diet is not good for the bird. It can lead to fatty liver disease. Additions of fresh food is the best way to ensure they get all the vitamins to keep them healthy.

How is your parrot feeling now?

Excess seeds in the diet can harm the health of poultry, as they contain a lot of fats, which in large quantities are dangerous even for the human liver. Try adding cereals and fresh foods to their diet.

Birds in winter can be fed with wheat bran, hard oat flakes, poppy seeds, pearl barley. Some birds eat corn and watermelon seeds, which must be crushed in advance. When I took a veterinarian course on https://www.veterinaryschoolsu.com/v.../pro-and-cons/, we were told that it is necessary to introduce fiber for a balanced diet of fresh vegetable fruits. Of course, this is done dosed to cope with the pet's stomach. If you think you can't handle it, it's better to contact a veterinary clinic. They will give you practical advice. Good luck!

Parrots

African Grey Parrot, Cockatiel, Conure
    You can try offering small pieces of fruits and vegetables, such as apple, carrot, or spinach, or a little bit of cooked rice or pasta. Some budgies also enjoy millet spray as a treat. Another way to encourage your budgies to try new foods is to offer them in different ways. For example, you can try hanging a small piece of fruit or vegetable on a skewer or placing it in a separate dish to make it more visually appealing and interesting to your budgies.