User Tag List

Thread: Gracie laid another egg.

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Gracie laid another egg.

There's a bright side to this...she passed it, no negative symptoms. She doesn't actually care for her eggs, and she dropped it from her highest perch and it broke on the grate...so now I need a dummy. It did look good from what I could tell though -- on the part that wasn't broken, the egg was nice and hard.

Any idea where to get one fast? It still looks almost intact on one half, so she has that for now. Never sits on them (just looks), but she never laid again when she had her egg in there last time, so maybe she's replacing the one we removed.

I'm not sure what's different this time. I guess I was lucky she stopped so quickly when we first got her, maybe I shouldn't expect her to stop egg laying immediately after we make changes again. She's on 12-13 hour nights, I've never pet her past the head, I let her food run out before I refill it -- basically, everything I've read that could help is being done. We're still on the look out for a sleepy-time cage to put in my bedroom.

The vet told us to give her daily calcium for a while since she doesn't use her cuttlebone and I think that may have helped.
    Last edited by rivx; 12-31-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Parrots

We made a dummy out of non-toxic children's clay. She doesn't particularly care about her eggs so I think it'll work.

Also, it's hard to tell since it broke on the floor but I'm wondering if it's possible that this is just the egg shell that had gotten adhered to her uterus. I was aware they hadn't been able to remove the whole shell and that she would pass it on her own with all the medication...I just don't know what exactly that would look like, lol.

Gracie Gacy is feeling fine, though! We got her a new perch as a late Christmas gift and she's absolutely terrified of it, so she's been eyeballing it from afar. Maybe that environment change will throw off her laying, though.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    If Gracie is going to lay another egg, it will probably happen in the next day or two. I doubt she expelled the part egg from before. Keep giving her the calcium and hopefully she doesn’t lay another egg. The new perch may throw her off. As well, change the things in her cage around. Sometimes, this throws them off enough to interrupt egg laying.

4. The following user likes this post:

rivx (01-01-2019)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Reminds me of the look of terror on Caspers face when we first opened the box with a rope perch in. He probably thought it was a snake. So we just left it on the floor for a couple of days before screwing it to his cage.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-01-2019), rivx (01-01-2019)

Parrots

We changed her toys around and switched out one perch for another...I wonder if I should take out her favorite perch and replace it with a different one. We have so many sticks! She still won't even go near the new one, (she's hiding out on the bottom half of the cage) so I'm hoping she opts not to lay again.

I always love hearing about Casper. He sounds so cute.

So far she keeps going and looking at the egg. She leans down and rubs it with her beak -- she did that with the original one too, no idea why, lol. She still hasn't made an effort to sit on it, and she's still acting pretty normal, eating and pooping fine.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-01-2019), Dragonlady2 (01-01-2019)

Parrots

She hasn't laid another one, but she is trying to sit on this one now. She kept knocking the tupperware container over and it's hard for her to sit in, so it's on just napkins on the floor...is that fine, or should I use something else?
    Last edited by rivx; 01-02-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    What about using a small plate with the napkin.

Parrots

Good idea!

Gracie had her check-up this morning. She's very healthy and made a great recovery!! She's through with the medicine but we're continuing to give her calcium on her food and will add another dummy egg to be safe. She doesn't have any eggs in her right now, so we're hoping she's decided she's done.

Otherwise, we're not too concerned about the still-occasionally weird feces. The orange color is probably just her food, but since they're about 90% normal now and she's looking great, it's not anything to worry about. I'm just keeping an eye on it, as usual.

The vet was very happy with how she's doing. She's just the right level of feisty and feeling great.

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-03-2019), Dragonlady2 (01-03-2019), Lady (01-10-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Wonderful news!