User Tag List

Thread: Hi everyone!

Hi everyone!

Hi everyone, very pleased to meet you all and I would really appreciate your advice. I'm from Vancouver BC, and I am considering getting a bird, either a Quaker Parrot or a Green Cheeked Conure. I have a real dilemma and that is my age, I'm in my 60's and don't know if it is such a wise decision at this point in my life as either of these birds could more than likely outlive me. My understanding is they also become very attached to their companion person. I am already seeking future guardians to take my bird when I am no longer to give it the necessary care or upon my death. But even having that in place I'm just not sure it is fair to the bird as I know it is not an easy process for them to be rehomed. Ideally I do want a hand fed baby although I have looked for an older bird needing a new home but have not been successful in finding what I want. Any suggestions as to what I should do or do you think my best choice is to not get a bird to love.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-31-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hi Hazel and welcome to the forum. Don’t let your age deter you from giving a parrot a home. As long as you have a plan for its care when you are no longer able, there is no reason that you wouldn’t be able provide a good home. You can always check online ads to see if there are any parrots requiring a home. I think there is a rescue/shelter where you are located...I’ll have to check and see where they are located. Good luck finding your feathered friend. Please let us know when you find one if you decide to go ahead.

I just checked and Greyhaven Exotic Bird Sanctuary is about 30 minutes from Vancouver.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 12-31-2018 at 01:58 AM.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Welcome to PP Hazel

Getting is a rescue bird is an excellent plan, I was going to say you'd be killing two birds with one stone but this may* be the wrong term for use on this forum.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-31-2018)

One of the issues I see with getting a rescue is that I would be establishing a new home then there's that possibility the bird would have to later be moved to yet another home. I feel like getting a new bird might be my first choice after all, besides I have been looking for a specific rescue for some time and haven't found it.

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-31-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Good luck in your search. I have a mixture of handfed and rescues and have been very happy with either. One thing that I will add ( this is not about your decision), statistics show that most parrots will go through numerous homes in their lifetime for many reasons. That’s why it is important to socialize and have a plan in place for them in case there is a change in the parrots life.

Thanks so much for telling me that "statistics show that most parrots will go through numerous homes in their lifetime for many reasons." That’s why it is important to socialize and have a plan in place for them in case there is a change in the parrots life." I hadn't realized that it's not uncommon for parrots to go through numerous homes, I guess because I have always been a dedicated and responsible pet owner who has never been in that position before it is what is deterring me more than anything. But for the most part I have had dogs for pets and have not had the same concerns as I do with a long living bird pet. I do feel a lot better about going forward ��

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-31-2018), Lady (01-10-2019)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Hazel,
    Welcome. I hope you find a rescue or a new bird to love.