User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This Poop Normal?

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Is This Poop Normal?

She eats colored pellets, but there's nothing wrong with a little paranoia.

Is this within the realm of normal or should we ask the vet? Her feces have been a little weird for a while (I mentioned she was having diarrhea / more urine/urates, and the vet said she will continue to be a bit mucusy for a while) but I did notice some of these a while before she started acting strange and I can't help but question everything she does.

(there are red pellet crumbs dropped onto some of these.)

I'm really considering changing to Zupreem natural because the color changes so much. I can never tell when something is going on. Would that change be stressful to her or is the general makeup the same? Is there any difference?
    Last edited by rivx; 12-24-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    My suggestion is to see if the vet will take a look at these pics if you email them to him/her. They look a little off to me and given what she has just gone through it wouldn’t hurt to check it out. Could be the result of taking the antibiotics and the vet can clarify what you should be expecting.
    The change in pellets shouldn’t be too stressful, but you may find she will not take to them right away. You could start by mixing the two and gradually cut back on the fruit ones.

3. The following user likes this post:

rivx (12-24-2018)

Parrots

Alright! The vet said she should be normal by tomorrow so I will take updated pictures and Email those then. Should I send both these pictures and the ones I will take tomorrow, or should it not matter?

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-24-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I would cut out the pellets with artificial coloring altogether and use Harrisons. Does she get any fresh fruit and veggies as well as the pellets?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-24-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I would send pics from yesterday as well as today. It could be that she is sloughing off any residual egg shell and the vet can maybe confirm this. Let us know how it goes.

Parrots

No orange color today but otherwise it is similar. Is Zupreem natural good pellets instead of Harrisons? They are easier for us to get, and not artificially colored.

She eats more veggies than fruits but she does get vegetables, yes! She's picky but we do get her to nibble at least some every day. Emailing the vet now.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Harrison’s or TOPs are good pellets. Hagen’s Lifetime Tropican ( I think that’s the name) is also a good pellet. No artificial colouring. It has a real fruity smell.

11. The following user likes this post:

rivx (12-24-2018)

Parrots

I've never seen any of those in stores around here, is my only issue with it. I don't like buying online if I don't have to -- always seems to get delayed!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Online is my problem as well. A 10 pound bag of Roudybush costs $45...then add $18 to ship.

14. The following user likes this post:

rivx (12-24-2018)

Parrots

Our vet still hasn't gotten back to us -- should have been open today but, nothing.

They do look more normal now. We were warned they'd be mucusy for a while but aside from that, seems fine.

They had the same weird shape as the second picture from yesterday this morning but it's not diarrhea, and it's not orange so...better, I guess? I'll see if I can get in contact with another vet until ours gets back to us anyways though.

EDIT: Hm. No, that shape is definitely still showing up. There also seems to be more urine. Still better than diarrhea, but different. We ate together for a while and then when she went they were normal, like image 1. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Last edited by rivx; 12-24-2018 at 11:55 PM.