User Tag List

Thread: skin issues for my lovebird

Threaded View

Exclamation skin issues for my lovebird

New to the forum, thanks for having me! I have an elderly lovebird, about 15 years old, who has relatively suddenly developed a skin issue. He has been healthy throughout his life with an exception of having an injury on his wing years ago that ended up with a bald patch from scar tissue. The scarred area is on the part of his right wing just slightly away from where his wing joins his body and below the "crest" of his wing when it is at rest. It hasn't bothered him since healing.

Recently I noticed a small area that looked like he had a scab but closer examination shows something that looks different than a scab like one would see on animal. It it was a varied light brownish in color, and wasn't deepish like a blood scab, but looked very thin and shallow, almost like the thickness of waxed paper (without the wax). It has slowly been increasing in size, almost like my bird is "grazing" on the surface of his skin.

I live in a Midwest state that is now very cold outside, being winter, and that fact - combined with the stress that would be put on him in a cage to travel - I don't want to chance a trip to the vet.

Advice?

2. The following 2 users like this post:

CharlieMyLovebird (01-14-2023), Dragonlady2 (12-22-2018)