User Tag List

Thread: skin issues for my lovebird

Exclamation skin issues for my lovebird

New to the forum, thanks for having me! I have an elderly lovebird, about 15 years old, who has relatively suddenly developed a skin issue. He has been healthy throughout his life with an exception of having an injury on his wing years ago that ended up with a bald patch from scar tissue. The scarred area is on the part of his right wing just slightly away from where his wing joins his body and below the "crest" of his wing when it is at rest. It hasn't bothered him since healing.

Recently I noticed a small area that looked like he had a scab but closer examination shows something that looks different than a scab like one would see on animal. It it was a varied light brownish in color, and wasn't deepish like a blood scab, but looked very thin and shallow, almost like the thickness of waxed paper (without the wax). It has slowly been increasing in size, almost like my bird is "grazing" on the surface of his skin.

I live in a Midwest state that is now very cold outside, being winter, and that fact - combined with the stress that would be put on him in a cage to travel - I don't want to chance a trip to the vet.

Advice?

2. The following 2 users like this post:

CharlieMyLovebird (01-14-2023), Dragonlady2 (12-22-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum As much as the vet visit is stressful for your lovebird, it probably is going to be the best decision for your bird. You could try calling the vet to see if they can give you some suggestions. There are also online vets that give advice. You could send a picture of the area to the vet.
    In the meantime, what about increasing the humidity in the room in case it has dry skin. Try misting the bird to see if that helps.
    You could try adding coconut oil or red palm oil to its diet. Can you post a picture of the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum As much as the vet visit is stressful for your lovebird, it probably is going to be the best decision for your bird. You could try calling the vet to see if they can give you some suggestions. There are also online vets that give advice. You could send a picture of the area to the vet.
    In the meantime, what about increasing the humidity in the room in case it has dry skin. Try misting the bird to see if that helps.
    You could try adding coconut oil or red palm oil to its diet. Can you post a picture of the area?
    Thank you for your response. I live in an area that has only 1 avian vet in the area - the nearest larger city is an hour and a half. This vet is unwilling to even look at photos of my lovebird's issue and, as mentioned, it is very cold now here in the Midwest and with its age and the cold I am very hesitant to try a vet visit. My bird is eating well (pellet diet supplemented by a pinch of a treat each day and fresh veggie, usually spinach) and his activity level and responsiveness remain good. Again, I hesitate to chance stressing him by taking him outside in the cold.
    Do you have any suggestions for an online vet?

He is in a separate room where I can keep the temp at about 76 degrees (I keep my house at 67 in the winter). I used an enclosed floor heater to keep the temp up, and have pans of water on top of the heater, as well as a large pan placed on the floor in front of the forced-air heating vent. Humidity is thus about 40-45 consistently.

Do you have more specific info about the coconut oil or red palm oil, e.g. where to purchase, purity, etc?
    Thanks in advance!

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-22-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    For starters his greens should be kale or romaine as spinach will block calcium absorption. If you have a good grocery store, they usually carry coconut oil. A health food store carries it as well. I am terrible at posting links, however, if you type in “online avian vet advice” or something similar, in your browser it should provide some options for you.
    Are you able to post a picture of the affected area?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    For starters his greens should be kale or romaine as spinach will block calcium absorption. If you have a good grocery store, they usually carry coconut oil. A health food store carries it as well. I am terrible at posting links, however, if you type in “online avian vet advice” or something similar, in your browser it should provide some options for you.
    Are you able to post a picture of the affected area?
    Thanks for that update re: kale and romaine being a much better choice. And I think there's a health food store not far away.
    Will do some online searching for vet(s), and will also try to get a photo posted asap.
    Many thanks for all of your help!

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    Petcoach is a free online vet site -- I've used it for mice in the past. Good luck.

9. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-23-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by rivx View Post
    Petcoach is a free online vet site -- I've used it for mice in the past. Good luck.
    Thanks! anyone who is willing to seek vetcare for their mice is as big a petlover as I. Will update as able.
    Thanks again, much appreciated!

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-23-2018), rivx (12-23-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    A visit to the vet would be good for both of you, the vet will treat the bird and give you peace of mind that you are doing the right thing.
    Just make sure the car is warmed up inside before taking the bird outdoors and keep the cage covered outdoors with a towel or rug to keep the wind and snow out.
    If it is not safe to leave the car with the engine running whilst you fetch the bird, a few minutes of it being locked up once warm should not make that much difference.
    Make sure the cage is strapped in or held securely in case another vehicle slides into you.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-23-2018), Lady (12-28-2018)

Parrots

Lovebird
    Do you have pictures of your 15 year old lovebird? I'd love to see them.

People think I'm crazy because I'm a bird man but hey, birds are awesome!