User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giving Medication

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Ah yes... they will try and get away with not eating their proper food. If she is well enough cut out all the high fat seedy stuff.

When Casper came to us at age 25 he was overweight and had a fatty liver and was filthy. Previous keeper had just fed him on sunflower seeds because "that is all he will eat, he just chucks the rest out". They didn't realise the harm it was doing him. He was also in a tiny cage getting no exercise and with only a bell to play with so his perches were nearly chewed through and his top beak was so long it nearly reached his chest. He had quite a few vets visits to get it back to shape.
    We are perhaps over-compensating with attention but he deserves it, I am amazed he still likes humans.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-23-2018), Lady (12-28-2018)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    Usually she eats too many pellets, not enough seeds!! Still not a fan of veggies, though she's back to eating her pellets today.

We should really measure both out better though, lol. How many tablespoons would you think for pellets and seeds?

4. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-24-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Better for her to have more pellets than seeds. I don’t measure the amount of food my birds eat. They get a fresh bowl of pellets everyday. Is there a reason you are measuring?

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    I've read that 'tiels may have different nutritional requirements when it comes to how many seeds vs. pellets they should be eating. I do just throw a little handful in there though.

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-24-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Usually most of whats in the bowl ends up on the floor (unless your bird is extraodianary) so there needs to be a surplus in there. Given a choice they then seem to eat what they need for a healthy diet apart from stuff that is definitely bad for them but tastes SO good
    Casper loves stuff that isn't found in the jungle canopy - like fish, but we only give him a tiny morsel as a treat. In his next life I think he wants to be a fish eagle.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-24-2018)