User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving Medication

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Giving Medication

Gracie needs her first dose of medicine now. It was suggested that we medicate her with apple juice and medicine in a bottle lid, but she's scared of the lid. I don't want her to aspirate and she does not like being handled, so I'm a little nervous to give it orally -- how should I go about this?
    Last edited by rivx; 12-21-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Parrots

I did try to give it to her orally since it was getting late but I'm not sure if she got anything at all - I couldn't see where it went. She's very angry with me, should I try giving her some on a treat to be sure?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Take whatever food she likes and put the medication on/in it. My Australian King will kill for a grape.Even though I didn’t want her to have more than a half grape per day, I made the exception and gave her meds on the grape. Give her whatever she likes to get those meds in her.

4. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-21-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Try mixing it in a little fruit yogurt or something else like apricot jam that is fairly liquid and sweet. Casper has his from a teaspoon which he usually takes from us to lick clean.
    His last lot of meds was quite bitter so we had to wrap him in a towel and feed him with a syringe. Often it did not go well so we were trying to work out whether he had a full dose, enough to get by on, or OMG we have to do it again.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-21-2018)

Parrots

Always give her a reward after doing something that upsets her

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-21-2018)

Parrots

I'll see what I can find for her to eat on it -- she didn't like it on millet, but maybe jam/yogurt/noodles.

She's still not eating very much (unless you count pigging on the millet stick we gave her when she got home) but I guess that's to be expected after something like this. We're supposed to call Monday if she's still being a little strange then. She is so far much less cranky/territorial, though she's still got her bark.

We set up a few different bowls/food tubes around the cage for her to eat at, I read that can help with egg laying and if nothing else, keep her stimulated.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-22-2018), Dragonlady2 (12-22-2018)

Parrots

I presume they gassed her down to do the Xray so that may still be in her system.
    The smorgasbord sounds exciting, I wonder which she will go for. They are very fickle, just because they liked it yesterday doesn't mean they are going to like it today, as we found out after buying two new tubs of Nutriberries

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-22-2018), rivx (12-22-2018)

Parrots

Bananas were rejected -- we're trying scrambled eggs now, something the vet suggested since she didn't take the juice. If that doesn't work I'll get some help giving it orally and look for something to put it in tomorrow.

EDIT: The eggs were chosen. She took them pretty much without issue. She dropped a few crumbs on the floor but I think she got enough to get by.
    Last edited by rivx; 12-22-2018 at 01:46 AM.

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-22-2018), Dragonlady2 (12-22-2018), Lady (12-23-2018)

Parrots

That is eggselent news

16. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-22-2018)

Parrots

Her appetite is actually pretty good today! She just won't eat her pellets.
    Or her veggies.
    But she begs for her treats and ate a lot of seeds already, so I think she's feeling better. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by rivx; 12-22-2018 at 04:00 PM.

18. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-23-2018), Dragonlady2 (12-22-2018), Lady (12-23-2018)