User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New baby cockatiel

Also how can I get him to want to fly to me? It came natural for the lovebird. I set him down and walk away and he comes right for me, always did since day 1. I plan on getting a harness for the cockatiel so I can take him on outings and adventures. I’ve read good and bad things about them but it’s always worth a try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    The trust bond begins with spending time with the bird. I always say hello to each of them when I enter the room, calling them by name and looking at them. I give them the odd treat when they least expect it. The bonding relationship is built over time for some birds. I have two birds that can be Velcro birds if I let them, but the rest come and go at will. I don’t require their attention, only if they want to give it to me....that’s why they are all flighted. I don’t mind if they come to visit and then leave to do something else. To me that is a more natural behaviour.
    Be careful for what you wish for. If you make your cockatiel too dependent on you for its relationship needs, you will end up with a screeching bird when you are out of its sight. I can handle the call of a lot of birds but macaws and cockatiels drive me batty. Right now, spend time talking to it, establishing a flock call and just generally getting to know it. Time will help with developing that bond...some just take a little longer than others.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (12-23-2018), princess.paisley (12-22-2018)