User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New baby cockatiel

New baby cockatiel

Hi everyone, I’m here to introduce myself and get a little bit of advice. I brought home a baby cockatiel from my usual lovebird breeder about 4 days ago. I have had a handful of lovebirds and have finished hand-feeding them with no issues. My first lovebird was nearly naked when I brought him home then ended up flying around the house chasing me from room to room. My second lovebird was pretty much weaned when I brought him home but loved me from the very beginning. Never left my side. This is my first cockatiel, it is only a month old today. He is eating well and putting on weight, I’m just concerned about his screeching? I’ve read online and on other forums that he may just be begging for food or attention. When I try to offer him (extra) food he takes a few swallows then just continues crying. He won’t cry if left alone completely. If he sees me or anyone else (dogs included) he will not stop screech! He flew for the first time today, AWAY from me. As soon as he landed, continued to cry his little heart out. I’m honestly afraid he’s going to hurt himself (his throat) just from crying all of the time. Any solutions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum. It probably associates food with you and babies cry and open their beaks when their mom is feeding them. Was it in with other birds at the breeders? Is it on a schedule re: feedings? I wonder if you are feeding too often and it isn’t learning to wait between feedings. Is it just getting handfeeding formula now? Last question for now...lol...do you sit with it on your lap between feedings?
    What about trying to offer other food in his cage like a leaf of kale or a piece of apple to see if it has any interest.
    Let’s see if we can figure out what it needs to feel secure and comfortable.

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (12-23-2018)

Dragonlady2, thank you! I believe he was kept in a brooder with a few other cockatiel babies. At the breeders his feeding schedule started at 5:30am. With me, it starts at 6:30am and ends at 10:30pm with feedings every 4 hours in between. He took to it very well! I usually do not feed anything with in those 4 hours but I have tried it a few times to see if it will help the crying. He always has millet, seed/pellet mix, toast/bread, and shredded carrots/green leaf lettuce available to him in between feedings. He has started to eat more and more of his extras and less and less handing feeding formula. Which, I guess since he flew today is seeming more natural now. I do sit with him in my lap but not for long because of the crying. When he sits on me he is constantly crying unless I’m covering up his head. I tried to make it kind of like a game, only letting him see me at first or anything, just really gradually. It seemed to help a little, but not much. I have even managed to teach him to step up and to bob his head up and down all while he continues screeching. It almost reminds me of a baby with colic. Well I’m mixing formula now. (I’m running a few minutes late with his 6:30 feeding and I still have not heard a sound from him.) As soon as I step foot in front of his cage he will start. I will give you an update after his dinner.

Thank for helping me get to the bottom of this little birds big mouth!

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-19-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    He could be missing his brooder mates. Can you find a small stuffed toy that he could snuggle up against? Sounds like you’re handling the weaning end fine. He could just be regressing a bit due to the changes. Where do you have him in the home?

7. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-19-2018)

Right now I’m keeping him (or her) in the bathroom just because it is the warmest in the home. However, for every feeding he is brought into the kitchen and fed on the table. Our kitchen and living room are open so his cage will be in between the both of them. His feedings take place about 4 feet away from where his cage will be set up. Thank you for your help! I’ve read that reducing his daylight hours may help. Is that something you think I should try? Also, I wasn’t worried about moving him to his big cage just yet because he’s so small but should I start thinking about it sooner now that he’s starting to fly? I took a video so you could hear his crying but I can’t figure out how to upload it.

9. The following user likes this post:

Super Moderator

Parrots

Do you have other birds? If you have him in a box/container, what about placing that in the bottom of the cage and having him in the family area? If you have other birds, he might feel better hearing them. I would lower the perches for now and cover the back half of the cage with a large towel or sheet. He might scream or cry, but it will give him a chance to get used to the new sounds and sights. If he continues with the crying, it might not hurt to check in with the breeder as she may be able to give you some better suggestions.

11. The following user likes this post:

Thank you for all your help! I tried putting him in his cage but he was way too curious. So, I moved him to small cage with a plastic base. He seems a lot happier. Still crying but also exploring. Even playing with toys and climbing up on perches. (Only 4 inches from the bottom. As low as the base will allow.) For now I’m bringing his little cage out during the day then back to the bathroom at night. (Mainly for warmth) Thank you again, he is starting to come around. As for names, I’m thinking screech (for obvious reasons) or falcon. Both male sounding which is probably not the best idea. I refer to it as a he but it’s not DNA sexed.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-20-2018), Dragonlady2 (12-20-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    It must be amazing to watch him exploring his new world full of curiosity and wonder
    As he is loud, how about naming after a singer... like maybe Meatloaf or Pavarotti? If Casper was female he would be Shania or Elkie because he always shrieks along to their singing.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-20-2018), princess.paisley (12-22-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Great news. The small cage is a good idea. It makes him more mobile and keeps him safe at the same time.

17. The following user likes this post:

princess.paisley (12-22-2018)

Thank you both for the advice! We are still thinking of names. One last question. What bonding/socializing exercises should I be working on for his age? My lovebird was very, very easy.

19. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-22-2018)